Skip to main content

Advice and Counselling Service

Skilled Worker Route

The Skilled Worker Route replaced Tier 2 on 1 December 2020. 

Under the Skilled Worker Route you would be sponsored by an employer to undertake a specific job in the UK. In order to sponsor you under the Skilled Worker Route, your employer must be listed on the UKVI Register of Sponsors (please note this is updated daily). You can switch from Tier 4 or Student immigration permission in the UK, and you can also apply outside the UK. 

The Skilled Worker Route is part of the Points Based System. There are 50 non-tradable (mandatory) points as follows:

  • Certificate of Sponsorship from a Sponsor listed on UKVI’s register of sponsors (20 points)
  • Job at appropriate skill level (RQF level 3 or above) (20 points)
  • English language at B1 level or above (10 points) Your degree from Queen Mary will evidence that you meet the English language requirement.

You must meet all of the above requirements in order to be eligible for the Skilled Worker Route.

You will also need to obtain an additional 20 points from the list of tradeable points. See the section 'attributes' for further details about the tradeable points, the minimum salary you need to earn, the Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) issued by your employer and the funds which you may to show in your bank account. 

Eligible family members can come to or stay in the UK as your dependants. 

If you are intending to work at Queen Mary, see the guidance from Queen Mary's Human Resources department and contact HR if you have questions about eligibility or the Skilled Worker visa application process. 

Return to top