Skip to main content

Advice and Counselling Service

Government Authorised Exchange

Government Authorised Exchange is a temporary worker route. The Government Authorised Exchange (GAE) strand allows you to spend up to 2 years in the UK. You can switch from Student to GAE in the UK if you have completed your degree. Sponsorship is required for this route, but you do not have to meet the salary requirements of the Skilled Worker Route, and you would usually be sponsored by an umbrella organisation, rather than the company you are working for. 

  • You must show a minimum of £1270 for at least 28 days before you apply or your sponsor could certify the maintenance for you.
  • You must meet the sponsor's requirements including the level of the job. 

Some Tier 5 sponsors are organisations which allow you to find a job, and will liaise with you and your employer to arrange the Certificate of Sponsorship. Please note that these companies are likely to charge a fee to either you or your potential employer. These organisations include Tier5intern and Access Tier 5. We recommend that you read the requirements of the scheme carefully before applying for one of the schemes. 

If you are interested in working for Queen Mary University of London under the Tier 5 (GAE) route as a sponsored researcher, then you should refer to Queen Mary's Human Resources department for more details and contact information. 

Return to top