Skip to main content

Advice and Counselling Service

Coming back to the UK for your graduation ceremony

If your Student immigration permission expires before your graduation ceremony, then you can apply for Standard Visitor immigration permission from your home country in order to return for your ceremony. If you are a non-visa national, you can request Visitor permission on entry to the UK. You cannot extend your Student visa once you have completed your course. 

You should prepare the following documents/evidence:

  • Your reason for travelling to the UK is to attend your graduation ceremony. You can print the order confirmation from 'Your Graduation' as evidence of your ceremony and a student status letter to confirm you have completed your course. You can also provide a copy of your results, if these are available. 
  • Evidence that you have sufficient funds to stay in the UK without working. UKVI do not stipulate a set amount, so we recommend at least £1334 for every month you intend to stay in the UK.
  • Evidence of where you will be staying in the UK e.g. hotel booking or letter of invitation if you are staying with family or friends.
  • Reasons to return to your home country/country of residence after the graduation ceremony. You could show a return ticket home, a letter from your employer or education institution showing that they expect you to return to your work or studies.
  • If you are not a national of the country in which you are applying, your residence permit, visa or document as evidence of your status in this country​

You can find further details about the documents you will need to provide on the government website. We recommend that you read the information on this page carefully before making your application. 

You can apply up to 3 months before you are due to travel to the UK. You will not be able to extend your Standard Visitor permission or change it to any other category of permission from the UK. 

Return to top