If you have a disability or long term health condition, you will find information on this page about advice and support, both at QMUL and externally, which you can access in relation to:

  • any impact that a disability or long term health condition may have on your participation in learning and life at QMUL
  • how to to make the most of your time at QMUL and get the best possible learning outcome
  • whether you are eligible for any extra money and/or services

Advice and Counselling Service: Welfare Advice

Our experienced Welfare Advisers have specialist training to offer you professional advice on a range of financial, welfare and legal issues. Our aim is to advise you about possible solutions and options relating to financial, practical and legal issues, so that you can concentrate on your academic progress.

We can advise you on possible ways of maximising your income, such as:

  • Getting all of the Student Finance you are eligible for
  • Applying for the University Financial Assistance Fund: a Welfare Adviser can help you to explain how your disability or long term health condition affects your financial situation
  • Eligibility for welfare benefits - as a student with a disability or ongoing ill health you may also be eligible to claim certain extra money. See our Advice Guide written especially for QMUL students with a disability or ongoing ill health: this includes information about applying for welfare benefits while studying and additional course related funding you might be eligible for:
    Extra Money for Disability and Ill Health
If you decide you need to take time out of your studies a Welfare Adviser can help you think through the practical implications on your finances and study options see our Advice Guide Interrupting Your Studies for more information https://www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk/documents/leaflets/interrupting/160416.pdf

Advice and Counselling Service: Counselling

Being a student can present you with many personal and emotional challenges and sometimes these can have negative impact on your experience of student life. Having a disability or long term health problem can add to such difficulties and counselling can help you to understand difficult experiences, feelings and behaviour. Sometimes developing new ways to cope with stress can be helpful and counselling can help by supporting you through your problems, including any that are related to your disability, focusing on what is troubling you. We can help you put your feelings into words and make connections between different aspects of your life. The opportunity to think and talk about emotional difficulties in a reflective way can not only bring a sense of relief but can also help you to make meaningful changes to your life and relationships and help you to concentrate more on your studies.

Disability and Dyslexia Service

The Disability and Dyslexia Service (DDS) offers guidance and support for all students with disabilities, specific learning difficulties and mental health issues at Queen Mary in the following areas:

  • Finding out if you have a specific learning difficulty like dyslexia
  • Applying for funding through the Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA)
  • Arranging DSA assessments of need
  • Special arrangements in examinations
  • Accessing loaned equipment (e.g. digital recorders)
  • Specialist one-to-one "study skills" tuition
  • Ensuring access to course materials in alternative formats (e.g. Braille)
  • Providing educational support workers (e.g. note-takers, readers, library assistants)
  • Mentoring support for students with mental health issues and conditions on the autistic spectrum

Careers Centre

The Careers Centre at QMUL can help you to ensure you maximise the opportunities available to you to support your future career throughout your time as a student at QMUL. If you are not sure what you would like to do next, they can also point you in the right direction. They can help you with part-time work, work experience or internships for example, if you are looking to work while you study, as well as help to prepare you for your working life as you graduate. They offer specialised services to students from all disciplines, across all the schools and departments at QMUL.

External organisations

Disability Rights UK provides a variety of services:

  • Information for disabled students including detailed guidance on welfare benefits, student finance and access to higher education
  • Disabled students freephone helpline 0800 328 5050 Tues 11.30 – 13.30 and Thurs 13.30 – 15.30 or email skill4disabledstudents@disabilityalliance.org Both the helpline and email service provide advice about welfare benefits and access to higher education
  • Independent Living Advice Line: 0845 026 4748
    Opening hours: Mon & Thurs 9.00 – 13.00
    email: independentliving@disabilityrightsuk.org
    Provides advice on: Getting direct payments, including information on: individual budgets/personalisation
    funding from social services in relation to the care needs of the disabled  (that also involves issues around appealing against the decision of social services), general advice on employing personal assistants

Making the most of your time at QMUL and in London –

DisabledGo provides detailed information about access to all kinds of places - hotels, restaurants, colleges, tourist attractions, libraries, hospitals, leisure centres, and shops. You can also use DisabledGo to look for a job, catch up on disability news, advertise events, post articles and join discussions.

Dial-a-ride from TFL provides a free membership transport service

Government advice: information for disabled people on topics including employment, financial support, accessibility and rights

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.