Advice and Counselling Service

STAFF menu


Immigration Advice in the UK is regulated by the  (Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner). The Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 made it unlawful for anyone to provide unregulated immigration advice or immigration services.

Immigration advice and services includes:

  • ensuring applicants complete the correct application form
  • advising individual applicants on immigration (e.g taking time out of their course)
  • advocacy (eg, contacting the UK Visas and Immigration on behalf of a student)

Sign-posting is not considered advice. Staff can also produce letters for students regarding attendance and progress without breaking OISC rules as they are simply stating facts about a student's situation.

Who can give immigration advice at Queen Mary University of London?

Advisers in the Advice and Counselling Service at Queen Mary are regulated to give immigration advice to students. We attend regular training and follow OISC guidelines on giving advice, keeping casenotes etc. We also must follow their code of conduct.

It's really important that students get the right advice so please do refer students to us.

Return to top