Skip to main content

Advice and Counselling Service


Our experienced Welfare Advisers have specialist training to offer you professional advice on a range of financial, legal and welfare issues. Our aim is to advise you about possible solutions and options relating to these issues, so that you can concentrate on your academic progress.

For information about insurance and regulations relating to immigration advice, please click here. ​

What can a Welfare Adviser help me with?

Most of our work is about helping you with your rights and entitlements, including:

  • eligibility for funding
  • government Student Finance (undergraduate and postgraduate)
  • tuition fee status
  • tuition fee payment problems
  • hardship funds and bursaries
  • planning a budget
  • dealing with debt
  • student immigration
  • international student issues
  • support for students without family contact 
  • support for students in situations of domestic violence or forced marriage
  • support for students from a refugee or asylum background
  • welfare benefits and tax credits
  • interrupting your studies, re-sitting, withdrawing or transferring (funding and immigration implications)
  • NHS funding
  • funding from trusts and charities
  • council tax

There is lots of information and guidance on our website about all the topics listed above, on the Money pages and the International students pages, and EEA/Swiss students pages

As well as helping you to find solutions to problems, we can also give you information and advice to help you to avoid problems before they happen. For example, we can help you to plan a budget, and check that you are getting all the funding that you are entitled to. This type of preventative advice can help you to make sure that practical and financial problems don't affect your academic progress.

Just a quick thank you for your help this year in securing the maximum student finance... After our meeting to discuss what to do next, the process became easier and we eventually received the full amount. I could not have continued study without it and your assistance was invaluable -
 History undergraduate 

Insurance and regulations relating to immigration advice

Welfare Advisers at Queen Mary University of London are regulated to give immigration advice under OISC (Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner) guidelines. The OISC is an independent organisation that monitors immigration advice and services. Advisers have to attend regular training to be able to do this.

The advice we provide is based on the information you give us about your situation, so it is important to let us know all of the relevant facts. The UK immigration rules change frequently and without notice, so the advice we give is correct at the time but could be subject to change - if you are not using the advice immediately, you should check back with us nearer the time to see that it is still correct.

If you ever need to complain about the immigration advice you receive, the Advice and Counselling Service has a complaints procedure. Alternatively, you can complain directly to the OISC - information about how to do this is on the website.

The OISC requires Welfare Advisers to have Professional Indemnity Insurance (PII). The purpose of PII is to cover any compensation we may need to pay to correct a mistake or to cover any legal costs due to negligence, misrepresentation and/or inaccurate advice which may cause, or contribute to, financial or other loss to you. Welfare Advisers at Queen Mary are covered by a PII Policy for Queen Mary staff.

Money Advice

Welfare Advisers at Queen Mary are members of and are accredited by the National Association of Student Money Advisers. The accreditation is re-assessed each academic year to ensure that advisers continue to attend regular training and development.


Return to top