New Student Immigration Route from 05/10/20
The new Student Immigration Route will replace Tier 4 from 5 October 2020. Any applications submitted from 5 October 2020 will be under the new Student Route. EU/EEA nationals coming to live in the UK from 1 January 2021 come under the new immigration system.
The new Student Route is very similar to Tier 4 in terms of the requirements and conditions of the route. Some notable differences are as follows:
- You will be able to apply for Entry Clearance under the new Student Route up to 6 months before your course starts
- There will no longer be a time limit (cap) for studies at Postgraduate level
- There will be more flexibility around who can apply for a visa from inside the UK (‘switch’)
- Nationals of EU/EEA countries and Switzerland, USA, South Korea, Singapore, New Zealand, Japan, Canada and Australia will be exempt from the ATAS requirement.
- If you are applying for permission to stay and have already been living in the UK with permission for 12 months or more on the date of application, you do not need to show funds.
We are updating the relevant sections of our web pages in line with the changes.