Advice and Counselling Service

Money menu


Queen Mary University of London will charge you a tuition fee for each year of your course. Queen Mary will send you an invoice in August, which will represent the charge for the full academic year you are enrolled on. You can also check the tuition fee amount online. You can also check how your fee status will be assessed to determine whether you will pay the home or overseas rate of tuition fee, if you are unsure.

This web page provides information about ways of paying your tuition fee, what payment methods you can use, fee payment deadlines, and the consequences of non payment, as well as what happens to your fee liability if you interrupt or withdraw from your programme.

Tuition Fee Loan

Most home and EU undergraduate students are eligible for a non-income assessed Tuition Fee Loan from Student Finance England (SFE) to cover the cost of tuition fees.

If you are from Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales, you should check with your home government’s student funding body what your funding arrangements will be.

If you are a home or EU undergraduate, you can check your eligibility, and get information about how and when to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan in the Advice and Counselling Service advice guides

Undergraduate Funding

Funding for Medical and Dental students

If you think you should be eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan but SFE, or your student funding body, don’t award you one, contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service. They can advise whether you have grounds to appeal against their decision.

If you are awarded a Tuition Fee Loan, SFE or your student funding body will send you a Student Finance Entitlement letter confirming this. If your Tuition Fee Loan is approved before Queen Mary enrolment, please bring the SFE letter with you to enrolment. The Tuition Fee Loan will be paid from SFE or your student funding body direct to Queen Mary for you.

Student Finance England awarded me a Tuition Fee Loan by mistake but have now taken it back – what can I do?

Sometimes SFE or a student funding body wrongly awards a Tuition Fee Loan to students who are not eligible, commonly students studying Medicine or Dentistry as a 2nd degree. 

Our Funding for medical and dental students advice guide gives detailed information on eligibility for a Tuition Fee Loan, and it explains what to do if you have had a Tuition Fee Loan paid in error - there are a number of options.

I'm not eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan – how will I pay my fees?

If you are not eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan, you will need to arrange to pay your tuition fees yourself. This might be from savings, earnings or help from family and friends.

Before you start your course, you need to ensure you will have enough money to pay your fees for the whole course, by the university deadlines explained in the University Tuition Fee Regulations. Once you start your course, if you run out of money there are no university hardship funds which can pay your tuition fees.

If you need advice about funding your studies, you can contact a Welfare Adviser.

How can I pay my tuition fees to the University?

If you are personably liable to pay the tuition fee yourself rather than using a Tuition Fee Loan to pay them, you can pay in a variety of ways which are explained on the Payment of Tuition Fees page.

When must I pay my tuition fees?

If you are personally liable to pay your tuition fees yourself, as a home or EU undergraduate you need to pay 25% of the annual tuition fee on or before enrolment and the remaining amount can be paid in seven consecutive monthly instalments. 

What happens if I don’t pay my tuition fees?

If you miss agreed payment dates, you will be charged £25 each time a payment is missed. Ultimately you may be de-registered from the University if you are in arrears at 31 January. The University Tuition Fee Regulations explain the steps Queen Mary has to take before it can de-register you.

I can’t pay my fees by the agreed deadlines – can I get a payment extension?

If you are unable to meet agreed payment deadlines, you should contact the Fees Office at Queen Mary to discuss this as soon as possible: 020 7882 3685 or email fees@Queen, or go to Queens' Building room W117. You can also contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service who will check that you are getting all of the income you are eligible for and who can help you consider your options. You may become liable for deregistration from the university for non-payment of tuition fees. This is explained in our advice guide and in the University Tuition Fee Regulations.

Can I get any discount on my tuition fees?

There is not a specific scheme for discounts of tuition fees, but you may be eligible to apply for a Bursary or Scholarship.

If I withdraw or interrupt my studies, how will my tuition fees be affected?

You can find this information in the University Tuition Fee Regulations and in the Advice and Counselling guide to Resitting, Interrupting or Leaving your course.

If you receive Student Finance to pay your tuition fees and interrupt or withdraw, Queen Mary should notify SFE or your student funding body of your change of circumstances. If you are no longer liable for the full year tuition fee, SFE or your student funding body should reassess your tuition fee loan amount. 

You could check with the Queen Mary Fees Office in May to see how much Tuition Fee Loan has been paid to the University on your behalf, and then check that this matches your actual tuition fee liability for the academic year.

If too much Tuition Fee Loan has been paid, you will need to contact SFE or your student funding body to try and resolve this. If you are unable to resolve it satisfactorily, contact a Welfare Adviser.

If you resume your studies after a period of interruption, you need to make sure you apply for the correct amount of Tuition Fee Loan from SFE or your student funding body. You can check your tuition fee liability following an interruption of study in our advice guide 'Resitting, Interrupting or Leaving your course'.

You may also find it generally useful to read the 'Resitting, Interrupting, Leaving your Course' advice guide if you have questions about interrupting or repeating.

My course is longer than a year – will my tuition fees increase?

Home and EU undergraduate tuition fees do not usually increase during the course.

Where can I get more information and advice?

You can read more information about tuition fee payments, de-registration and fee refunds in the University Tuition Fee Regulations. 

If you are having problems paying your tuition fees and the Fees Office will not agree to an extension of the payment deadline, or you need any other advice about tuition fees or finance in general, contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service.

Return to top