Advice and Counselling Service

Money menu


This page is for home and EU postgraduate students, and prospective students, to help you understand your responsibility for paying your tuition fees, how you can do this, when you need to do this by, and where to get help if you are having problems paying.

How much are the tuition fees?

Queen Mary University of London will charge you a tuition fee for each year of your course. You can check the annual amount for a taught programme or for a programme by research and whether you will pay the home or overseas rate of tuition fee.Tuition fees may be subject to an increase in each year of your programme. Check with the Fees Office ( when you enrol what the increase might be so that you can plan ahead.

Can I get any discount on my tuition fees?

In 2019-20 if your annual tuition fee is £10,000 or higher you will receive a 1% discount if you pay your fees in full before enrolment. If you are getting a Queen Mary scholarship towards your tuition fees, the 1% discount will be applied to the balance due after the scholarship is deducted, provided the balance due is at least £10,000.For full details of the prompt payment criteria see the Tuition Fee Regulations

Some academic schools offer discounts to postgraduate students on certain courses. Normally you don’t need to make a special application for this – all applicants are considered automatically, but you can check this with the academic school that you are applying to. Details of all Queen Mary scholarships and bursaries are available online for both taught and research programmes.

Sponsored students

If your tuition fee is paid in full or part by an organisation or official body or your employer, you must provide a new letter on enrolment/re-enrolment from your sponsor for each year of your programme. The letter should confirm the address to which the fees office can send their invoice with a contact name and the amount of the sponsorship. If there is an arrangement for Queen Mary to receive payment on your behalf from a sponsor or any other third party, you will remain personally responsible for payment of fees and charges, if your sponsor doesn't pay. Queen Mary will only accept sponsors if they have passed a credit check.

Where the sponsor is paying only part of the fees, you must pay the balance due before or at enrolment, according to the same arrangements that apply to self-funding students.

Students who have been awarded a UK government Postgraduate Master's loan - when are my tuition fees payable?

If you have been awarded a postgraduate Master's loan that will cover the full cost of your tuition fees, Queen Mary will allow you to pay in three instalments in line with the dates when you receive your loan payments. To get fully enrolled you will need to show your SFE notification letter confirming your Master's Loan, and sign a payment agreement for paying the three instalments, as well as paying a £50 administrative fee for the instalment agreement. 

If your loan does not cover the full cost of your tuition fees, Queen Mary will normally allow the fees that will be covered by the loan to be paid in three instalments with a £50 administrative fee (as above) and the remaining amount to be repaid in line with the policy for self-funded students (50% on enrolment and 50% at the end of January). So to get fully enrolled you will need to show your SFE notification letter confirming your Master's Loan, pay 50% of the fees not covered by the Master's loan up front, and sign a payment agreement, as well as paying a £50 administrative fee for the instalment agreement. 

There are some worked examples of the different payment arrangements online.

I am paying my own tuition fees - how and when do I do this?

Before you start your course, you need to ensure you will have enough money to pay your tuition fees for the whole course, by the deadlines (see below). Once you start your course, if you run out of money there are no university hardship funds which can pay your tuition fees. See our Postgraduate Funding advice guide for advice about this. 

You can pay your tuition fees in a variety of ways – these are explained on the Payment of Tuition Fees page of the Queen Mary website. There is a £50 charge for paying in instalments. If you pay the full fee at once on or before enrolment, and it is at least £7500, you will get a 1% discount. 

You can either pay 100% of your fees before enrolment, or you can pay a £50 charge to split your payments into two instalments, where you pay 50% before enrolment and the remaining 50% must be paid by 31st January. If you are a Research student and you enrol later in the academic year than September, but before 1 February, you have to pay 50% at or before enrolment, and sign a payment agreement to pay the remaining 50% by the last working day of the fourth month after enrolment. 

What happens if I don’t pay my tuition fees by the deadline?

If you have not paid 100% of your tuition fees by 31st January (or the relevant deadline if you have been given a special payment arrangement by the fees office), Queen Mary can de-register you from your programme. There is more information about deregistration in our Postgraduate Funding guide and see also in the Queen Mary Tuition Fee Regulations. There is also a charge of £150 for failure to make payment by 31 January.

I can’t pay my fees by the agreed deadlines – what can I do?

If you are unable to meet agreed payment deadlines, you should contact the Fees Office at Queen Mary to discuss this as soon as possible ( / Queens Building room W117). Please be aware that the Fees Office are not usually able to extend tuition fee payment deadlines.

You can also contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service, who will check that you are getting all of the income you are eligible for and who can help you consider your options.

If I withdraw or interrupt my studies - how will my tuition fees be affected?

This is explained in our advice guide Postgraduate Funding: a guide for home and EU students

You can also find this information in the Queen Mary Tuition Fee Regulations. Policy can change from one academic year to the next so always check the policy for the relevant academic year. 

Where can I get more information and advice?

You can read more information about tuition fee payments, de-registration and fee refunds in the Queen Mary Tuition Fee Regulations. Policy can change from one year to the next so always check the regulations for the relevant academic year.

If you are having problems paying your tuition fees and the Fees Office will not agree to an extension of the payment deadline or you need any other advice about tuition fees or finance in general, contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service.

Return to top