Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

When and how to apply for Student Finance

When and how to apply for Student Finance

You can find details about personal eligibility, residence requirements and the effect of any previous study on your funding, in the Eligibility section at the end of this Advice Guide.

If you normally live in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, your package of government Student Finance will be different. You need to contact the funding authority in your home country:

Student Awards Agency Scotland

Student Information Scotland

Student Finance Wales

Student Finance NI

What is Student Finance?

Student Finance is the system of financial support for undergraduate students, provided by the UK government, through an organisation called Student Finance England (SFE). If you normally live in England, the three main elements of Student Finance for full-time undergraduate students who start their course from 1 August 2016 are:

  • Tuition Fee Loan
  • Maintenance Loan
  • Supplementary Grants

Each element is explained in more detail later in this Advice Guide.

When do I apply?

To try and ensure that you are paid the first instalment of your Student Finance at the start of the academic year, new students should apply (and provide any additional documentation or information required by SFE) by 22 May 2020.  

You do not need to have a confirmed place on a course before you apply. If you later change your choice of course or university, you can notify SFE through your online account before starting the course.

If you are a continuing student you should apply by 30 June 2020 to try and ensure that you are paid the first instalment of your Student Finance at the start of the academic year. 

If you have not applied before the start of the course, you can still apply for Student Finance for the 2020/21 academic year up until the end of May 2021.

How do I apply?

New Students

You can apply online here.

To apply, you will need: 

  • Your passport details
  • Details of the university and course
  • Your bank details
  • Your National Insurance number
  • If applicable, your parents’ or partner’s details, including their National Insurance number and income (or alternatively you can provide this later)

Please note, for academic year 2020/21 only, UK nationals who do not have a UK passport only need to provide their original UK birth or adoption certificate. You do not need to provide an Applicant's Declaration of Identity Form (ADIF) and can confirm your identity by your original birth or adoption certificate alone.

Please be aware that when you apply online you will have to request a password. You need to be patient after initially requesting the new password as this process is not instant and you normally need to wait for an email with the new password to be issued.

If you would prefer to apply on paper, you can download and complete a paper PN1 application form.

To help you complete your PN1 application form, you will see an ‘n’ next to particular questions on the form. This refers to notes you can find in the PN1 guidance to help you answer some of the more difficult questions on the PN1 form.

You can download the PN1 application form and guidance notes here.

Continuing students

You should be invited to reapply for your Student Finance, please keep an eye on your online account. You are encouraged to apply online but, if you prefer to apply on paper you can download and complete a paper PR1 form. You can download the PR1 application form and guidance notes here

New and continuing students, applying for Student Finance online, can submit an 'Online Terms and Conditions' via their online account with an electronic signature rather than returning a signed paper 'online declaration form' in the post.  

What evidence do I need to provide with my application?

If you apply online, once you have completed your application you will see a list of evidence you need to send. Remember to send this straight away to avoid delays to your application and payments.

SFE have launched a new Digital Evidence Submission system that makes it easier for you to provide supporting evidence for your application.  Full-time undergraduate students, as well as their parents and partners, can use this to submit all their evidence via their online accounts.

Digital Evidence Submission will also make it easier for students who need additional support to supply evidence. Students applying for Disabled Students’ Allowances, Grants for Dependants and full income-assessed support can now directly upload evidence rather than having to post it.

The only exception is a small number of students who need to post the following:

  • ID evidence – if a student is unable to provide their passport details online and verify them with HMPO, then they will still need to post original evidence
  • Residency evidence – students who need to provide 3-year or 5-year residency evidence must also post original evidence

If you apply on paper, you will see an ‘e’ next to particular questions on the form. Refer to the guidance notes that accompany the application form to find out more about what evidence you need to provide in relation to questions which have an ‘e’ next to them.

At the time of applying (either online or on paper), you don’t need to send SFE evidence that you meet the relevant residence requirements. However, it is sensible to ensure that you could provide it, in case you are subsequently asked to. If you have a UK passport number, SFE can check your identity using that number; you don’t need to send them your passport. If you provide your parent’s or partner’s National Insurance (NI) number, SFE can check the household income amounts directly with the Revenue and Customs office. If you don’t have your parent’s or partner’s NI number available when you are applying, this can be provided online afterwards, or on a paper form (PFF2) – more information is available here

If your parents are divorced or separated, it is useful to send evidence of this at the time applying, so that SFE know to only include the income of the parent you would normally live with (plus any new partner if they are living with one). The following types of evidence can be used: Decree Nisi; Decree Absolute; Civil partnership dissolution order; letter from a solicitor confirming marital status; or a Council Tax bill showing the single occupancy discount. If you cannot provide any of this evidence and have valid reasons why you cannot, SFE may be able to accept other evidence such as a statutory declaration plus utility bills in one person’s name. A statutory declaration is a statement which you write to confirm your circumstances and which you would then say under oath in the presence of someone who is authorised to hear it (e.g. a solicitor, or a notary who works in a solicitors’ office). That person has to sign the statutory declaration to certify that they have heard it. You can search for a notary on The Notaries Society website. The cost will vary but can be as little as £5.

We have written a template statutory declaration in Appendix 2 to help you formulate your own.

In certain situations you may need to provide further evidence after you have applied, but SFE will usually contact you to ask for this. However, if it is several weeks since you applied for your Student Finance and you have not heard from SFE, you could contact them on 0300 100 0607 to check the progress of your application and whether they need you to send further documents. SFE will normally only need photocopies, not originals. Any identity evidence SFE ask for must be original, not photocopied. Remember to include your Customer Reference Number with everything you send to SFE. If you are asked to send any original documents, it is a good idea to keep copies. Try to send your documents straight away to avoid delays to your application and payments, preferably using Royal Mail Special Delivery post which enables you to track delivery

If you are planning to be away from the address that SFE has for you, you will need to make arrangements to ensure that you receive any correspondence.


If you are an EU national who has come to the UK to study, you can normally only apply for a Tuition Fee Loan (but see below for exceptions to this). You need to apply to the Student Finance Services European Team. New students use form EU20N, continuining students should use form EUPR1A. You can download both forms here.

You need to send a certified copy of your passport or of both sides of your national identity card. Who can certify documents and what they must write on the copy of the document is explained here.

You can contact the Non UK Team by phone on (+44) (0)141 243 3570 or write to them:

Student Finance Services Non UK Team
Student Finance England
PO Box 89

If you are not an EU national but there is an EU national in your family, you might still qualify for a Tuition Fee Loan. The rules are complicated so please contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service.

Some EU and EEA nationals and their family members may also be eligible for the living costs elements of Student Finance. See the ‘Eligibility rules for government student finance’ section at the end of this guide for more details. 

If you become an EU national after your course has started, contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service to check whether you can become eligible for Student Finance.

If you are not eligible for the living costs elements of Student Finance, you will need an alternative source of funding to pay for all your living costs in each year of your course. You will need to put together a package of support, which might come from your parents or other family members, your own savings, your earnings, an independent organisation or your own government.

You might find it useful to refer to the budget planner on our website to help you work out what your predicted income and expenditure would be. 

If you have extra study related costs as a result of a disability or learning difficulty, some limited funding from the university may be available in certain circumstances. Please contact the Queen Mary Disability and Dyslexia Service for advice.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top