Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

University Hardship Funds

University Hardship Funds

Financial Assistance Fund

The University Financial Assistance Fund at QMUL can provide financial support (usually a non-repayable grant) to students who are experiencing financial hardship. You can apply in each year of your programme, and more than once if your circumstances change during an academic year.

You must show that you have made reasonable provision to support yourself and any dependents through your studies before you apply to this fund. You should be able to show that you have made use of any overdraft facility available to you.

The fund cannot help pay tuition fees.

How do I apply?

New - online application now available

To apply online: 

  • Log in to your MySis portal and go to the Scholarships and Bursaries page (click + if not visible)
  • Click on 'Apply for Scholarship or Bursary'
  • Select 'Financial Assistance Fund' from the funding type dropdown and complete the online application screens
  • Make sure you click the 'Submit' button on the final screen

The paper Financial Assistance Fund application form remains available as a download.  Please read the Guidance Notes booklet for more information on how to fill it in.

Contact the Student Enquiry Centre, ground floor, Queens Building for advice if you have any issues accessing the form.

You can make a ‘standard’ application for help to meet general living costs associated with being a student such as rent, food, books etc. The guidance notes explain how standard applications are assessed. You can apply for a ‘non-standard’ award if you have unforeseen or exceptional costs and you are in financial hardship as a result of these. For example, you may be unable to do your part-time job for a short period due to illness or injury, and may need help with your loss of income, or you might have to pay travel costs for a family emergency, or you may need help with unexpected essential household repairs.

If you are a part-time postgraduate student who is awarded financial help from the Financial Assistance Fund, you can apply for a student 18+Oystercard. Your QMUL Financial Assistance Fund award letter explains how to apply for this.

If you would like help applying, contact a Welfare Adviser at the Advice and Counselling Service before you submit your application. A Welfare Adviser can help you explain your circumstances and can also advise you on what evidence would be required.

Emergency and Short Term Loans

If you are in sudden financial difficulty and you need to borrow a small amount of cash, you can apply for an emergency interest-free cash loan from the university.

If your funding or other money you are expecting is temporarily delayed, you can apply for a short term loan interest-free from the university to help pay your living costs until your money arrives.

To apply, contact the Student Enquiry Centre, ground floor Queens’ Building or email:

Short term loans from the Students’ Union

QMSU can offer a short-term loan of up to £100 to help students who have run into unexpected financial need due to a cash flow problem. For example, if you are waiting for your wages to be paid and you need to make a payment. These loans are interest free. You must be able to demonstrate a realistic repayment schedule. There is more information online including a link to complete a short form to arrange an appointment with a member of staff in the SU to discuss your application.

The QMSU Club Sport Hardship Fund

The QMSU Club Sport Hardship Fund will be used to subsidise costs associated with sports participation for students in financial hardship. This is intended to remove the financial barriers which can prevent many students from accessing sport. By widening access to sport, more students will be given the opportunity to improve their physical and mental well-being, as well as gain transitional employability skills.

For more information and an application form, please see the QMSU webpage. The application form explains which groups of students are considered a priority for this fund. Applications are considered each month, so you need to apply by the last Friday of the month to get a decision by the middle of the following month.


The University Financial Assistance Fund can assist with short-term and urgent situations only; it cannot provide the main support for your costs, and it cannot help with tuition fee payments. For example, you could apply to the fund if your main source of funds is temporarily disrupted, or if you have a sudden unexpected cost. In your application you would need to explain how you would normally have met your costs and why this funding is currently unavailable. You should explain how long you expect to be in financial difficulties, and what you have done to try and resolve the situation yourself.

EU medical and dental students can apply to the Dean’s Benevolence Fund. You should first apply to the University Financial Assistance Fund, if you are eligible.

EU students can only apply for a short term loan if you have a guaranteed source of income from which you will be able to repay it. However you can still apply for an emergency loan.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top