Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Transferring to a new course

Transferring to a new course

To change to a new degree course, either at Queen Mary or elsewhere, you might need to apply again through UCAS.

However, depending on the time of year, and your circumstances, the new course might agree to accept a direct application from you which means you would not normally need to apply through UCAS.

New students transferring to Queen Mary should contact the Admissions Office for advice about joining a programme of study. Also read the information about transfers and advanced entry .

Current students who want to transfer to another University or transfer to a new course at Queen Mary should contact the Student Enquiry Centre

The Queen Mary Student Transfer Policy is available on the Admissions Policies and Procedures page.

If you are considering transferring to another University you could also contact the the Admissions Office at that university for advice about their procedures and what they require you to do.

You need to complete the relevant forms to transfer courses within Queen Mary or to leave your current programme of study and transfer to a new University:

You can also collect the forms from the Student Enquiry Centre, ground floor, Queens’ Building, Mile End campus, the Student Office at the Whitechapel campus or the Advice and Counselling Service reception. The guidance notes accompanying the forms explain how to fill them out and where to submit them. 

What do I need to consider?

As well as the academic implications, transferring courses within Queen Mary or to another University can affect your Student Funding and your accommodation.

See below for information about how this can affect Student Finance England funding.  Different rules may apply if you receive funding from Student Finance Wales, Northern Ireland or the Scottish Students Awards Agency.  Contact a Welfare Adviser if you are unsure how your funding will be affected.

If you live in University owned accommodation and intend to transfer to another University contact the Queen Mary Residential Services for advice about ending your contract and moving out. Queen Mary Residential services also offer private sector housing advice.  If you rent privately and have signed a tenancy agreement you need check if you can end your Tenancy early.

For further information about these and other factors read the section of this guide called 'Practicalities if you are no longer in attendance'.

If you are hold a Tier 4 or student visa you should also read our guide 'International Students re-sitting, Interrupting or leaving their course' to check how your visa may be affected.

If you are an EU/EEA/Swiss national and will have a gap between courses so intend to leave the UK until you resume your study, you should read our EU/EEA information about Brexit as its important to consider how an absence from the UK could affect your long term options and right to live in the UK in the future. 

I am an EU/EEA/Swiss National, how will transferring affect my funding and fee status?

If you are an EU/EEA/Swiss national and you intend to leave the UK during a period of interruption or once you withdraw from your course, you should read our EU/EEA information about Brexit as it's important to consider how your absence from the UK could affect your long term options and right to live in the UK in the future.

It's possible that transferring to a new course, withdrawing from your course or interrupting your studies this academic year 2020/21 could affect your future entitlement to receive student funding and also to pay the home rate of tuition fee from September 2021 onwards.  We are waiting for the UK Government to announce the rules and provide guidance for the 2021/22 academic year following the end of the Brexit transition period. We will update our EU/EEA Fees and Funding guidance once it becomes available. 

How will transferring affect my funding?

You can transfer your government Student Finance to your new course, as long as your new course is designated for higher education Student Finance, and your new university (or new academic department at Queen Mary) agrees to accept you as a transferred student. Once your university accepts you as a transferred student, they will inform your funding authority and your funding authority should transfer your Student Finance entitlement to your new course, and re-assess your entitlement if necessary. Queen Mary will do an online notification of your change of circumstances to Student Finance England (SFE). This should happen automatically, but if you want to check, contact the Student Enquiry Centre, ground floor, Queens’ Building, Mile End Campus.

If you transfer to a University ouside of London, your Maintenance Loan entitlement will be assessed using the 'out of London' Maintenance Loan rate.  This is lower than the London rate so can make a difference to your budget. To compare, view the current year Maintenance loan rates on 

If you transfer between courses at different institutions within the same academic year (for example you start a course in September and transfer to a different course in October), you will only pay one tuition fee for the whole year. The tuition fee loan will be split between the two institutions, and the proportion payable to each institution will depend on what point in the academic year you transfer.

If you are transferring from a course which you started before 2016, you should remain under the pre-2016 funding arrangements, whereby you may be eligible for a Maintenance Grant, depending on the household income and on the number of years you have already studied. This includes where you have had a gap in your studies (because you were interrupting) as long it was for less than two academic years. If your new course end date is the same as your original course, your Student Finance entitlement should continue and not be affected by the transfer. However, if transferring to a new course will mean that you will take longer to achieve your degree than you originally planned (as you may be required to repeat a year you have already completed on your previous course), you might not be entitled to a Student Finance Tuition Fee Loan or Maintenance Grant (pre-2016 starters only) for every year of the new course you are transferring to.

Under the standard entitlement, you are eligible for a Student Finance Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Grant or Special Support Grant (pre-2016 starters only) for each year of your new course plus one year in reserve called a ‘plus one’ year. If you normally live in Wales, Northern Ireland or Scotland, contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service for advice about your entitlement.

The Student Finance regulations for students who transfer courses are the same as for students who have previous study:

Entitlement to Student Finance where a student has transferred from or studied on a previous course

OD+1- PC

OD (ordinary duration of current course) +1 (extra ‘plus one’ year) – PC (previous Higher Education study)


Previous course: 2 years’ previous study at Bath University in 2016/17 and 2017/18. Note: Even if you only attended for 1 day, this counts as one year of previous study

Current course: direct entrant into Year 2 in 2019/20 of 3 year undergraduate History degree at Queen Mary

Entitlement to Student Finance for current course = 3 (ordinary duration of new course) +1 (extra plus one year) – 2 (years of previous study) = 2 standard years remaining

(The standard length of the course is 3 years, plus the ‘plus one’ year, minus 2 years of previous study at Bath, leaves 2 standard years of full Student Finance at Queen Mary).

So in years 2 and 3 of the new course they would be eligible for full Student Finance. The years of full Student Finance are always payable in the later years of the course. 

Discretionary Funding

If you have had compelling personal reasons that have contributed to your decision to transfer courses, Student Finance England has the discretion to fund years that you might not ordinarily be eligible for funding on your new course under the standard rules. The number of additional years SFE will consider will depend on your circumstances and previous study history.  If you are transferring to Queen Mary, a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service can help you to make an application to SFE for discretionary funding based on your compelling personal reasons. The evidence you need to provide if you need extra funding as a result of transferring your studies is broadly similar to the evidence required if you need extra funding to re-take a period of study. See the Re-taking a period of study due to compelling personal reasons section earlier in this advice guide for more information. If you are transferring from Queen Mary to a new university, a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service can explain to you what you need to do.

Tuition Fees

Please check the tuition fee charged for the course you are transferring to as it may be different to the tuition fee for your current course.  If the programme of study you would like to join is at Queen Mary, please check with the Fees Office. If the programme of study you would like to join is at a different university please check the tuition fee with their admissions office.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top