Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Who can be your dependant?

Who can be your dependant?

Your dependant can be your partner or child

In this context, partner means:

  • Husband or wife
  • Civil partner
  • A partner who you have been living with for at least two years in a relationship similar to marriage or civil partnership

You and your partner must be 18 or older on the date when they arrive in the UK.

Your child must either be:

  • under 18; or
  • in the UK as your dependant and not living an ‘independent life’.

Both of the child’s parents must also be in the UK or plan to travel to the UK with them, unless

  • the other parent has died, or
  • they are not and have never been involved in the child’s life, or
  • there are other serious and compelling reasons for only one parent being here, and there are arrangements for child care. If you think this applies to you and your family, you may like to get specialist immigration advice to see if you would have a strong case before you apply.

There is more information about applying for immigration permission for dependants on the UK Government website, including The Points Based System (Dependant) Policy Guidance.

You can submit your and your dependants’ applications at the same time, or separately, depending on your circumstances.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top