Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Tier 4 dependants

Tier 4 dependants

Your partner and/or child can come to the UK as your Tier 4 dependant, extend their stay as your Tier 4 dependent, or switch from their current status to Tier 4 dependant, if:

  • you are studying a postgraduate programme at QMUL which is 12 months or longer (Dependants who make immigration applications on or after 6 July 2018, will benefit where this course is at least 9 months long); or
  • you are a government-sponsored student and you are studying a programme at any level, which is more than 6 months long

They can only switch to Tier 4 Dependant from within the UK if their current permission is Tier 4 (General), Tier 2, or any other permission granted for longer than 6 months (except Short Term Student). Visitors and Short Term Students cannot switch to Tier 4 Dependant in the UK.

If you are studying a different course from those listed above, and your partner, child or children is/are already in the UK as your Tier 4 Dependant(s), there are transitional measures which may allow them to extend their stay in the UK.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top