Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

There is an error with my Tier 4 permission

There is an error with my Tier 4 permission

Start and end date errors

The correct dates should be:

Length and type of programme, as detailed on your CAS[‡]

Start date if you apply outside the UK

End date

12 months or more


1 month before studies, 7 days before your intended travel date, or the date the immigration permission is issued (whichever is later)

End of studies + 4 months

6 months or more, but less than 12 months

End of studies + 2 months

A pre-sessional course less than six months long

End of studies + 1 month

Other course less than six months long

7 days before studies or before the date the immigration permission is issued (whichever is later)

End of studies + 7 days

Work and other conditions

Your passport sticker or Biometric Residence Permit has conditions about working, public funds and, for some people, police registration. It is rare for these conditions to be wrong, but errors can be corrected.


A Queen Mary University of London student’s Tier 4 immigration permission will have a condition that restricts work during term-time to 20 hours a week, or to 10 hours a week if the studies are below degree level. It also prohibits work as a doctor or dentist. Someone with Short Term Student immigration permission cannot work at all. For more information, visit the Advice and Counselling Service website.

Public Funds

Anyone who comes to the UK for a limited time has a condition that prevents them from claiming Public Funds, which means a specific list of welfare benefits. As a Tier 4 migrant or Short Term Student, you will correctly have this condition.

Police Registration

Nationals of some countries who come to the UK for more than 6 months have a condition to register with the police within 7 days. For more information on whether you should have the condition, and what to do if there is an error, visit the Advice and Counselling Service website.

Where is the error?

Your CAS had a date error

The Home Office will not normally correct a date if the error was on the CAS. Instead, you will need to apply for a new CAS and make a new immigration application for the correct length of immigration permission.

Sticker in your passport has an error with a date or conditions

30 day passport sticker
Contact the visa application centre and ask them to correct the error before you travel.

If you have already travelled to the UK using a 30-day passport sticker, and you will be collecting your Biometric Residence Permit, there may be no need to correct an error on your passport sticker. Check with the Advice and Counselling Service

Passport sticker covering the full length of your course
If your passport sticker (vignette) covers your whole programme, and there is an error, you should contact your Visa Application Centre and request a correction before you travel to the UK. 

If you notice the error after you have arrived in the UK, you must report it by emailing the Home Office. You must attach a scanned copy of the sticker in your passport. The Home Office aims to respond within 5 working days to confirm whether an error has been made. If there has been an error, you will be emailed instructions on where to send your passport for this to be corrected. If your immigration permission is close to expiring when you notice the error or you are having difficulties in getting the error corrected, contact a Welfare Adviser at the Advice and Counselling Service.  


Biometric Residence Permit has an error with date or conditions

After you receive your BRP, you must report any errors through the UK Government website within 10 working days of receiving the permit. If you notice the error more than 10 working days after receiving your BRP card, you should still report this error. We have seen that students have still been able to correct the error even if more than 10 days have passed. 

If you are directed to submit an Administrative Review, you can get further advice from a Welfare Adviser or another regulated immigration adviser before submitting your Administrative Review. This is because the Immigration Rules regarding length of immigration permission are complicated.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly so make sure that you are referring to the online version of this guidance which is updated regularly. The information in this guide is given in good faith and has been carefully checked. Queen Mary, however, accepts no legal responsibility for its accuracy.
Regulation of Immigration Advice
The OISC (Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner) is an independent organisation that monitors immigration advice and services. Welfare Advisers at Queen Mary are regulated under OISC guidelines to give immigration advice and have to attend regular training to do this. If you ever need to complain about the immigration advice you receive, the Advice and Counselling Service has a complaints procedure. Alternatively, you can complain directly to the OISC. Their complaints form is on the website at

[‡] If your Tier 4 application is for re-sitting or returning to your programme after an interruption, it is our understanding that Home Office staff will use the original start date of your programme, which will be explained on your CAS in the ‘Evidence provided’ field.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top