Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Switching to a part-time mode of study on a full-time course due to compelling personal reasons

Switching to a part-time mode of study on a full-time course due to compelling personal reasons

Very rarely Queen Mary may consider suspending its academic regulations to grant a student who has compelling personal reasons extra time to complete their studies outside of the usual mechanisms of interrupting or re-sitting out of attendance. For example, where a student is not able to engage with full-time study due to their health or other personal issues, an academic school may allow them to switch to a part-time mode of study for the remaining academic years of their course. This would allow a student to progress through their course and finish their degree at a pace they can more easily manage. This option is only offered to an extremely small number of students where the usual procedures such as interrupting, resitting out of attendance or retaking in attendance are deemed unsuitable – see the earlier sections of this advice guide for more information about these.

Note: if you have been given permission by your academic school to switch to a part-time mode of study on a full-time course, you are still classed as enrolled on and undertaking a full-time course; it is only your mode of study which changes to part-time. If you need to apply for Student Finance to continue your studies in the next academic year, you would still complete the full-time student application. However, as you will be taking longer to complete your studies than the standard length of a full-time course, your Student Finance entitlement may be affected and you may need to apply for discretionary funding from Student Finance England. Contact a Welfare Adviser from the Advice and Counselling Service before you make your Student Finance application: the adviser can explain your options and whether you need to make an application for discretionary funding, and if so, how to do this.

If you are finding it difficult to engage with your studies, consider discussing your issues with your personal tutor, or academic adviser or student support officer in your academic school as soon as you can. They can explain what your academic options are and what support can be put in place to assist you. If your difficulties are due to a disability or ill-health, including a mental health condition, you can also contact the Queen Mary Disability and Dyslexia Service. You might also find it helpful to get advice from the academic advice manager in the Students Union, Annie Mitchell, about your options.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top