Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Before you apply

Before you apply

Warning: Do not take advice about any aspect of your Student immigration application from your friends, from online forums or communities, or from anyone else who is not regulated to offer immigration advice. Following bad or misinformed advice from non-professionals can mean your Student immigration application will be refused.


Using this guide

You can follow each section of this guide as a step by step process to make your Student immigration application. We advise you start preparing your application at least two months before you need to travel to the UK if you are applying outside, or at least two months before your current immigration permission ends if you are applying in the UK. If you need an  Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance certificate then you may need to allow more time. You should start to prepare your supporting evidence in advance. 

The earliest you can apply is 6 months before the start date of your course on your CAS from outside the UK, or 3 months if you are inside the UK.  


Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top