Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Request a CAS

Request a CAS

If you need ATAS clearance, you must obtain the ATAS certificate before requesting a CAS. 

A CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) is a record that QMUL creates about you and your programme studies on a secure Home Office database. It is not a paper document.

If QMUL can sponsor you under the Student Route, the university will create a CAS. They will email you the reference number and details of all the information QMUL have provided to the Home Office. You need both the number and the information to complete your Student application form.

*IMPORTANT* The earliest you can apply for your visa is 3 months before the start date of your course if you are applying from inside the UK, or 6 months before the start date of your course if you are outside the UK. If you are in the UK, the date of application is the date that you submit your application online. If you are overseas, the date of application will be the date that your application fee is paid. 

A CAS issued for a continuing programme will be issued up to 6 months before the start of the new part of the programme.

The CAS can be used in your Student immigration application, unless:

  • you have already used it in an application that was granted or refused; or
  • it was issued more than six months ago; or
  • it was withdrawn by either the university or the Home Office

Are you within the Tier 4 time limit (“cap”)

Before issuing your CAS, QMUL will check all your previous Tier 4 and Student immigration permission granted for degree level studies, including periods of leave granted before and after your course. This is because the Student rules place a limit (a cap) on the length of time you can be in the UK studying at degree level with a Tier 4 and Student visa

Requesting a CAS

New students

If you are applying to study Foundation or Postgraduate course, you can request a CAS through your online portal once your offer is unconditional, and you have paid the necessary deposit for your course. If you applying to study an Undergraduate course, you will receive an email from the Admissions Team with instruction about how to apply for a CAS once your offer is unconditional. You can find further information about the CAS request process on the Admissions and CAS page.

Then when your CAS is being created, you will receive an email asking you to log in to the web portal and check the information is correct before your final CAS is issued. Check the information carefully: it is much easier for staff to correct any errors before the CAS is finalised than to do so later.

Existing students

If you are part way through a programme at QMUL, you can request a CAS by logging in to your MySIS profile. Choose “My Details”.

You will need to upload a copy of the personal details page of your current passport and a copy of your most recent immigration permission (your passport sticker or both sides of your Biometric Residence Permit).

You will need to provide evidence that you meet the fund requirements before your CAS is issued. 

A new CAS for an existing student costs £25.

Warning: During busy periods, it can take QMUL between 10 and 15 working days to issue a CAS. Please request your CAS as early as possible.

Check it carefully:

Check that all the information in your CAS statement is correct, especially:

  • Your name, date of birth, nationality and passport number should exactly match the passport you are planning to submit with your immigration application.
  • Check the “Evidence Used” section. It will list any evidence of your qualifications that QMUL used to offer you a place. It will also explain how QMUL has assessed your English language ability, and it will confirm whether your course of study shows academic progression or that you are exempt from this requirement.

Updating your CAS

After it has been issued, your CAS can be updated if necessary. The most common reason to update your CAS is if you pay further tuition fees and this affects how much money you will be showing in your application

Your CAS can, in theory, be updated at any point before your Student immigration application is decided.

To request an update on your CAS:

New students: contact

Existing students: contact

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top