Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Differential evidence requirement

Differential evidence requirement

Nationals of the following countries qualify under the differential evidence requirement if they are applying for Student Immigration permission:

  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Bahrain
  • Barbados
  • Belgium
  • Botswana
  • Brazil
  • Brunei
  • Bulgaria
  • Cambodia
  • Canada
  • Chile
  • China
  • Croatia
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • The Dominican Republic
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Indonesia
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kuwait
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malaysia
  • Malta
  • Mauritius
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Oman
  • Peru
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Qatar
  • Romania
  • Serbia
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Thailand
  • Tunisia
  • United Arab Emirates
  • United States of America
  • Or, where an applicant holds a valid passport which shows they are registered as a British National (Overseas), or which was issued by the competent authorities of Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR or Taiwan (which includes the number of the identification card issued by the competent authority in Taiwan)

As a national who makes an application for Student Immigration permission under the differential evidence requirement, you do not need to provide the following with your supporting documents:

  1. Evidence that you have the required money for your studies
  2. Evidence of your previous qualifications (as listed in the “Evidence used” section of your CAS statement)

However you must still meet the Student Immigration permission requirements at the time you submit your visa application. 

If you have been in the UK for at least 12 months with permission at the time you make your application, and you are applying from within the UK, you do not need to have funds. See Funds for your Student visa application

So do I actually need to have this evidence?

Yes. Even though you are not required to submit the above evidence, you must have it in your possession.

After you have submitted your immigration application, the Entry Clearance Officer or Caseworker who considers your immigration application can contact you and ask you to provide your evidence. A Border Force Officer may also ask you to show your evidence when you arrive in the UK and you should carry it with you in your hand luggage.

Should I submit this evidence anyway?

No. If you are a national who qualifies under the differential evidence requirement, your application will be processed more quickly if you do not send this evidence. If you do send the evidence anyway, the Entry Clearance Officer or Caseworker may need to take time to verify the documents that you have sent are genuine and meet the requirements of the Immigration Rules. This may delay your application.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top