Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Check it

Check it

Applying outside the UK

Your passport, and documents if these were retained, may be posted to you or you may be instructed to collect them.

When you receive your documents check all the details on your sticker and any letters are correct. If you notice an error, see the section “Correcting an error” (below).

Six months or less

If you are granted six months of immigration permission or less your immigration permission will be granted as a sticker in your passport

More than six months

You will be granted immigration permission as a sticker in your passport, but this sticker will only be valid for 90 days, to allow you to enter the UK. 

You will also have a letter of decision which explains the conditions and length of your immigration permission. Keep this letter safe.

The  90 days within which you must enter the UK will start on one of these dates (whichever is the latest):

  • one month before the course start date as stated on your CAS
  • 7 days before your intended date of travel as stated by you on your application form
  • the day your immigration permission is issued

If you do not travel to the UK during the 90 day period on the sticker, it will expire. You will need to apply for a new one if you still wish to travel to the UK.

When you travel to the UK

When you travel to the UK, a Border Force Officer at the airport/seaport/Eurostar terminal will ask to see your decision letter (if you are granted more than six months of immigration permission) and your immigration sticker.

They may also want to see the supporting documents you used in your application – it’s a good idea to keep these documents in your hand luggage.

If the Border Force Offer allows you to enter the UK, they will stamp your sticker with their “Immigration Officer” stamp.

Collecting your BRP

See our guidance about collecting your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).


Is your immigration permission correct?

The Home Office will usually grant additional time before and after your studies. How much additional time you receive will depend on the length of your studies, using the dates on the CAS.

Length and type of programme of studies

If applying outside the UK, length of permission to be granted before start of studies

Length of immigration permission to be granted after studies

12 months or more

1 month

4 months

6 months or more, but less than 12 months

1 month

2 months

A pre-sessional course less than six months long

1 month

1 month

Other course less than six months long

7 days

7 days

If you are re-sitting or interrupting your programme, it is our understanding that the Caseworker or Entry Clearance Officer should calculate the total length of your programme when deciding how much additional time to grant. So they can do this, the original start date of your programme must be detailed in your CAS (under the ‘Evidence provided’ field).

If your BRP expires on 31 December 2024

You do not need to tell UKVI if your BRP expires on 31 December 2024 but you have permission to stay longer.

UKVI will update their information on how to update your BRP in early 2024. You do not need to do anything and your immigration status will not be affected.

Correcting an error

How to correct an error is explained in our advice guide 'What to do if things go wrong' - see the section called 'There is an error with my Student immigration permission'. 

Registering with the Police

If you have been granted immigration permission that is more than six months long, you may be required to register with the police. Find further information on our web page 'Police Registration'.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top