Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Funds for your Tier 4 visa application

You will automatically meet the financial requirement if you are applying for permission to stay in the UK and you have been in the UK for at least 12 months with valid immigration permission on the date of application. You only meet this requirement if you are applying from inside the UK. You will also meet the financial requirement if you are applying for permission as a Student Union Sabbatical Officer or applying for permission to study on a recognised foundation programme as a doctor or dentist in training.

Funds may be held in any form of personal bank or building society account (including current, deposit, savings, pension which allows the funds to be withdrawn, or investment account) provided the account allows the funds to be accessed immediately.

The funds must be in an account in your own name, your partner's name or your court-appointed legal guardian's name. The funds must be held in a personal bank account, you cannot use a company bank account, unless the company meets the requirements of an Official financial sponsor. The funds can also be shown in your partner's name, if your partner is legally present in the UK or is applying at the same time as you. 

If the funds are in your parent's or legal guardian's name, additional evidence will be required, please see the section about money held in your parent's name

You need to show the evidence of your funds in the correct format. This may be a bank statement, a bank letter, a certificate of deposit, an official financial sponsorship letter or a loan letter in the correct format.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top