Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Babies born in the UK

Babies born in the UK

Birth in the UK does not automatically make a baby a British citizen. The baby needs to have a parent with British citizenship or Settled Status in the UK in order to acquire British nationality.

Your baby can stay with you lawfully in the UK without making a Student Dependant application. However, your baby will need immigration permission (and a passport) if they need to re-enter the UK after any travel.

A baby who is born in the UK is exempt from paying charges for NHS hospital treatment while they are aged 3 months or less. Therefore if you would like your baby to be able to get free hospital treatment after 3 months, you can make a Student Dependant application for them. Alternatively, you may decide to pay for private medical insurance for your baby. There is information about how to apply for immigration permission for babies born in the UK on the UKCISA website.

Whilst you are pregnant, you are eligible for free NHS prescriptions and free dental care. You might also qualify for Healthy Start food vouchers. The Money Advice webpage explains more about these and how to claim them. If you are pregnant but have also been working, you might also qualify for Statutory Maternity Pay or Maternity Allowance. If your partner is pregnant, you may qualify for Paternity Pay. See the Money Advice webpage for more information. Maternity Action also has a helpline you can call for advice about your entitlements as well as information sheets you can download.

You might also qualify for Maternity/Paternity Pay if you are a postgraduate student getting Research Council funding or Queen Mary University funding. If you have specific questions, please contact the Research Degrees Office directly. There is general information on interrupting your studies including due to maternity/paternity on the research degrees office web pages

You may like to look at the Advice and Counselling Service advice guide on Childcare. This explains how much pre-school childcare may cost, who is eligible for free schooling in the UK and how to apply to get a school place.

Warning: The immigration rules changed several times. Even if you have applied with your dependents before, you may find that you are unable to apply under the new rules or that the requirements have changed.

If you have questions after reading this information, see the section in this guide ‘Where can I get further information and assistance?

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top