Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Tips on completing the Short-term Student application form

Tips on completing the Short-term Student application form

There are some questions that students frequently ask us when completing the Short-Term Student application form.

The form asks “What is the main address and the contact details of where you will be staying whilst in the UK?”, but I haven’t sorted out my accommodation yet. What can I write?

If you haven’t arranged your accommodation, you can write “I have not yet arranged my accommodation” in “Line 1” of the address. You should still provide an e-mail address and a phone number (e.g. your mobile number) so the Home Office can contact you if there is a problem during your stay.

The “Income and Expenditure” section asks about my finances, but I’m not sure what to put here.

The application form asks some specific questions about your money, where it is coming from and what you will be spending it on. If you feel that the Entry Clearance Officer that assesses your application may not understand your financial situation, you can include a budget with your supporting documents. A budget may also help you plan your finances. For more information on writing a budget, we have a budget spreadsheet which you can personalise on our website, as well as useful money saving ideas. 

The UKVI Guide to supporting documents for visiting the UK [PDF 191KB] includes a section ‘Information about your finances and employment’, which explains what financial documents are acceptable evidence of your funds. The guide mentions showing bank statements or payslips for up to six months prior to your application. However, the Immigration Rules for Short-Term Students do not mention having to show that the funds have been held for a specific length of time, nor do they state which documents will be considered as acceptable evidence. The Immigration Rules only state that you must show you have enough money to pay for your living costs while you are in the UK and to pay for your return flight home. It  would be reasonable to estimate your living costs based on the Tier 4 requirements, which is a minimum of £1265 for every month you will be in the UK. We would also advise you to provide evidence that you, or the person who is financially supporting you, has held the money for at least a 28 day consecutive period prior to making your application (this is the requirement Tier 4 (General) Student applications).

How should I answer the question about my course name and qualification?

We advise that you write your course name exactly as it is on your offer letter. 

If you are applying for Short-term Student permission in order to study abroad in the UK as an associate student or as part of the Queen Mary Summer School, you can say the name of the course and "no qualification" for the question about the qualification you will get. For example, you would write: "Associate student - no qualification" or "Summer School student- no qualification" depending on your situation. 

If you are returning to the UK with Short-term Student permission to undertake your resits, you should write the qualification you will obtain on successful completion of your course. 

What should I put as the start and end date of my studies?

Normally, this would be the length of your course. However, if you are a distance learning student or a student undertaking re-sit exams, you should enter the time you are expected to be in the UK on this occasion (e.g. if you are a distance learning student, the start and end date of your summer school; or, if you are undertaking re-sits, the start and end date of the exam period).

I don't know what to write for the name of the Accommodation Officer

If you are staying in QMUL Halls of Residence you can write: 'QMUL Housing Services' for this question. In the 'Additional Information' section of the form you can then explain that you are staying in QMUL accommodation and there is not one designated officer in charge of arranging your accommodation, but that members of staff in Housing Services are organising your accommodation. 

The form asks if I have studied in the UK before. What should I put?

If you have ever undertaken studies of any kind in the UK, with any type of immigration permission, you should answer “Yes”.


Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top