Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Supporting documents

Supporting documents

  • A valid passport or travel document
  • One passport sized colour photograph taken within the last six months.
  • A letter from QMUL with the details of your studies. To obtain a letter:
    • New students – You can use your acceptance letter as evidence. If you haven’t got an original copy of your acceptance letter or for more information, contact:
    • Existing students:
      • If you will be undertaking re-sit exams, more information about when and how you will receive a letter can be found on the Student Enquiry Centre website
      • If you are a Research student coming to defend your viva only, request a letter from the Research Degrees Office and ensure that it contains the date of your viva. 
      • If you are a distance learning student and you need to visit the UK to meet with your tutors or to attend a residential, please contact the Student Enquiry Centre
  • Evidence of sufficient funds to pay your course fees, accommodation and living expenses while you are in the UK. You could show your bank statements, receipts for your course fees, receipts for any booked accommodation or a letter of invitation from family or friends if you will be staying with them, plus evidence that they can afford to give you free housing. There is further information about this in 'Tips on completing the Short-Term Student immigration application form' in this guide. 

We recommend, if possible, that you are able to show evidence of where the funds have come from. For example, if you are showing money in your parent's bank account as evidence that you have sufficient funds, you might show proof of your parent's employment, business or property. This is not a requirement, but we are advising that you include this evidence if you can, because we have seen a number of refusals recently on the basis of not including this evidence. 

  • Evidence showing that you intend to leave the UK within 6 months, or at the end of your studies, whichever is sooner. You could show a return ticket home, a letter from your employer or education institution showing that they expect you to return to your work or studies.

Depending on your circumstances, you may also be required to include the following:

  • ATAS security clearance certificate. Some MEng degrees and other postgraduate qualifications require an ATAS security clearance certificate. For more information about which subject areas and qualifications need an ATAS certificate, and to apply for one if you need it, see the UK Government website. For applications made on or after 6 July 2018, students coming to the UK for any length of time who are studying a relevant course will need to get an ATAS certificate before you apply for your short term student immigration permission. For example, this will include students on coming to the UK to undertake a course, research or research tuition, an elective, a viva, a re-sit exam, a re-take module or part of a distance learning course. 

    It can take 30 working days (6 weeks) for an ATAS certificate to be issued and sometimes longer during busy periods. We recommend that you apply as early as possible.

    There is no charge for applying for an ATAS certificate and you can apply for as many certificates as you have offers.

    Your ATAS certificate will be valid for 6 months and you must make your immigration application within this 6 month period. You would then only need to apply for a new ATAS certificate if there is a relevant change to your course (this is explained here).
  • If you are not a national of the country in which you are applying, your residence permit, visa or document as evidence of your status in this country​

  • Evidence of previous qualifications (official certificates/ transcripts)

  • Evidence of English Language ability (e.g. IELTS) - if applicable

  • If you are being financially supported by someone else, for example your parents, you can provide evidence of their finances to show that you can maintain and accommodate yourself whilst in the UK, as well as evidence of the source of those funds

  • Evidence of marital status 

You can find more details of the requirements on the Home Office’s website.

If your immigration application is successful, your passport should be returned to you with a Short-term Student visa sticker. 

If you are a non-visa national and are requesting Short-term Student Leave at the port of entry to the UK, you can carry the above documents which are relevant to you in your hand luggage. You would not need to pay a fee or provide a photograph. 

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top