Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Short-term Student Visa

Overview of the Short-term Student Visa route

The Short-term Student Visa route is for people over 18 coming to the UK for a maximum of 6 months.

Check if a Short-term Student Visa is appropriate for your course of study

If you applied for your Short-term immigration permission before 11 January 2018, you must intend to leave the UK at the end of the 6 month period, or the end of your studies, whichever is sooner. If you application was made on or after 11 January 2018, you must intend to leave the UK within 30 days of the end of your course, or by the end of the six month period, whichever is sooner. In either case, you must have sufficient funds to pay for your fees and all of your living expenses whilst you are in the UK. 

Not leaving the UK as outlined above could adversely affect future UK immigration applications. 

A holder of a Short-term Student Visa is not permitted to work in the UK.

Visa nationals must apply for entry clearance as a Short-term Student before travelling to the UK. 

Non-visa nationals may be eligible to request leave as a Short-term Student on arrival in the UK or may choose to apply for entry clearance from their home country.

In order to be eligible for Short-term Student immigration permission, you should not intend to study in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive periods as a Short-term Student. It is likely to be considered that you are studying frequent periods if you apply for more than 5 periods of leave under the Short-term Student route within a five year period. Someone who applies for a second period of leave under the Short-term Student route where less than 2 months have passed since they last visited the UK with Short-term Student immigration permission is also likely to be refused.

If you are worried that the rules about frequent and successive studies in the UK might affect your Short-term Student application, then contact us with details about your previous studies and visa and we can advise you. 

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top