Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Practicalities if you are no longer in attendance

Practicalities if you are no longer in attendance

What university services can I use while I am interrupting or re-sitting out of attendance?

The Queen Mary University of London regulations state that if you are not enrolled or registered (and this normally includes people who have interrupted their studies, or who are re-sitting out of attendance) you may not use most Queen Mary facilities. The exception to this is if your academic school agrees to make a request for you to have use of a facility which they feel you specifically need. If you feel that there are strong reasons why your studies are being adversely affected because you don’t have access to a certain Queen Mary facility during your interruption or re-sit out of attendance, contact your academic school to discuss this. There is more information on the Queen Mary University of London Registry webpages

Academic school or institute

You might only have limited contact, if any, with academic staff during a period of interruption or re-sitting out of attendance. Check with your academic school or institute whether you can contact your personal adviser, tutor or Student Support Officer if you need help planning your revision or for feedback about what caused you to fail last time. 


Your library access may be stopped if you are interrupting or re-sitting out of attendance. 

IT Services

Your access to IT Services will normally remain the same while you are interrupting or re-sitting out of attendance. However, if you do not use your email account for a long time, you may be sent an email asking if you want to keep the account open. If you do not respond to this email, and you are not enrolled, your email account will be disabled. 

Careers and Enterprise Service

You can use the Careers and Enterprise Service while you are interrupting or re-sitting out of attendance.  

Disability and Dyslexia Service

Even if you have not previously been supported by the Disability and Dyslexia Service, you can still contact them for support whilst you are interrupting or re-sitting out of attendance.

It can also be helpful to contact the Disability and Dyslexia Service to get advice about what support you might need when you resume your studies, if you are taking time out because of ill-health, a disability, or a mental health issue. 

Advice and Counselling Service

You can use the Advice and Counselling Service, even if you have not previously done so, while you are interrupting or re-sitting out of attendance. 


I live in Queen Mary University of London Residences 

If you live in Queen Mary Residences and need to interrupt or re-sit out of attendance, or you withdraw from your studies at Queen Mary, or are deregistered or transfer to a different university, you will not normally be able to stay in your accommodation and will need to move out.

As soon as Queen Mary has approved your change of circumstances, you will need to provide a copy of the relevant documentation to Queen Mary Housing Services. You will then be asked to complete a ‘Notice of Intention to Vacate’ form giving 28 days’ written notice to leave your Queen Mary accommodation.

You will remain liable for residential fees for the full 28 days unless Housing Services are able to re-let your accommodation sooner. Once the 28 day period has expired and you have returned your keys, your liability will cease.

See the Moving out early section of the Residents’ Handbook for more information. 

I live in privately rented accommodation 

If you are renting accommodation from a private landlord, and you need to move out because of a change to your academic studies, you need to carefully check the terms of your contract. If you have signed a contract for a set period of time such as nine months or a year, you cannot normally give notice to end your tenancy until the fixed term has ended, unless the contract contains a ‘break clause’ allowing you to give notice part way through. Contact Queen Mary Housing Services with a copy of your tenancy agreement or contract for advice about your options. 

Council Tax

You retain your full-time student status during an interruption of study or re-sit out of attendance, and so you would normally remain exempt from having to pay Council Tax. An exception to this can be students who are re-sitting their final year out of attendance. The rules are explained in our Council Tax advice guide

If you withdraw from or are deregistered from your course, you are no longer a full-time student and so you cannot claim Council Tax exemption on that basis. 

18+ Student Oystercard

If you have an 18+ Student Oystercard, Queen Mary University of London will notify Transport for London (TFL) that you are no longer in attendance. When TFL receives this notification, they will cancel your student discount, but you can continue to use your Oystercard as a standard Oyster card.

If you resume your studies, you will need to pay for a new 18+ Student Oystercard. 

NUS Extra card

If you already have an NUS Extra card, this should not be cancelled as neither Queen Mary University of London nor the Student Union would normally notify NUS that you are no longer attending.

If you are interrupting or re-sitting out of attendance, and you do not already have an NUS Extra card, it should still be possible to apply for one. 

National Railcard/Coachcard

If you already have a national railcard or national coach card it should not be cancelled if you are no longer in attendance. However, if you have already interrupted your studies or are already out of attendance and wish to apply for a new card, the Student Enquiry Centre will not normally stamp the application form as it asks for confirmation of attendance.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top