Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Leaving your studies completely

Leaving your studies completely (withdrawing/deregistration)



You may be thinking about leaving completely with no intention of returning to your current programme of study. Make sure that you talk your decision through with somebody first. This might be your personal tutor, academic adviser or a member of staff at the Advice and Counselling Service. Once you have withdrawn from QMUL, you cannot return to your programme of study, although you could later on try applying as a new student for a new programme of study.


How do I withdraw?


If you decide that withdrawing is the best option for you, you need to complete a Withdrawal from university form.


You can get the form from the Student Enquiry Centre on the Mile End campus or the Student Office at the Whitechapel campus, or on the Academic Registry website.


Is there a deadline?


Check the Academic Registry website for the deadlines.




‘Deregistration’ is where QMUL decides to officially remove you as a student. This could be because your attendance is very poor or because you have not paid enough of your tuition fees.


As a result, you will not be eligible to continue your programme of study and cannot use any QMUL facilities, attend classes, sit examinations or attend graduation.


When does deregistration happen?


If you have not paid the tuition fees that you have agreed to pay by 31 January, QMUL will send you a letter in early February. The letter will explain that you are being given a further deadline to clear the outstanding tuition fee payment within 10 days. If you fail to pay by the further deadline stated in the letter, you will normally be deregistered.


Students may also be deregistered for other reasons during the academic year, for example for non- attendance on their programme of study, but deregistration would be the final option, after an academic school had exhausted all the options to help a student re-engage with their studies. Deregistration also occurs if you fail your exams and re-sits, and if you have no entitlement to further attempts under the academic regulations.


Can I stay in the UK if I have withdrawn or been deregistered?


Normally, you will not be able to stay in the UK


Withdrawing from your programme of study completely or being deregistered means that you are no longer a student. QMUL will report your withdrawal or deregistration to the Home Office. Please see our guidance on Tier 4 Reporting and Curtailment for more information.


What if I plan to start a new programme of study?


See the section of this guide, Transferring to a new programme of study.


What if I want to return to my programme of study at QMUL?


If you have withdrawn from your programme of study at QMUL, you cannot be reinstated on that programme of study. You would need to apply for a place on a programme of study as a new student.


If you have been deregistered for non-payment of tuition fees, you may be able to get reinstated on your programme. To do this, you will have to pay your outstanding tuition fees and an administrative charge of £250 by 31st July of the same year you have been deregistered in, in order to preserve your right to re-join the programme at a later date. If you do this, you will normally be able to resume your studies at QMUL, but no earlier than 12 months following your date of deregistration. As you will have paid your outstanding fees by 31st July, when you return to complete the academic year in which you were deregistered, you should have no further tuition fee to pay for that academic year. If you cannot pay your outstanding fee by 31st July, you cannot normally be reinstated at QMUL.


If QMUL decides to allow you to return to your programme of study, please see the section of this guide “How and when do I apply for new immigration permission to return to my studies?”.


Can I submit an appeal or make a complaint about being deregistered?


Yes, you may submit an appeal against the decision to deregister you. The letter you receive informing you that you have been deregistered should explain that you have a right of appeal against your deregistration. If you decide you want to appeal, you must do so within 14 days of the date stated on the letter. As deregistration relates to progression on your programme of study, you would need to submit an appeal rather than a complaint. If your appeal is successful, you would normally be allowed to be reinstated on your course. However, if you are not looking to reverse the deregistration decision, but wish to complain about other matters such as, for example, the way that your deregistration has been processed, you could consider making a complaint. You must submit your complaint within 3 months of the date stated on your deregistration letter.


To find out how to make an appeal or complaint, see the Student Appeals, Complaints and Conduct Office webpages.


Before you submit your appeal or complaint, it may be useful for you to take independent advice from the Academic Advice Service in the Students Union.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top