Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Resitting, interrupting or leaving your course - a guide for international students

To use this guide you either click on the section headings on the right-hand side or go forward through the whole guide by clicking on the section headings at the bottom of each page.

If you would like to print the whole guide please click on ‘printer friendly version’ at the bottom of this page. If you want to print a section of this guide, go to the section and click on the ‘printer friendly version’ at the bottom of that page.

Who is this guide for?

This guide is for Queen Mary University of London students who are in the UK on Tier 4 Student immigration permission or Student Immigration Permission. Some information will also be relevant for students who pay the international rate of tuition fee but who hold a different type of UK immigration status. This guide covers the practical, administrative, academic and immigration issues for someone who needs to re-sit, retake or interrupt their studies, or who is thinking of leaving their studies completely.

If you are studying a part-time or a distance learning programme, please contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service for advice about your situation.


Law, regulations and policies can change quickly so make sure that you are referring to the online version of this guidance which is updated regularly. The information in this guide is given in good faith and has been carefully checked. Queen Mary , however, accepts no legal responsibility for its accuracy.
Regulation of Immigration Advice
The OISC (Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner) is an independent organisation that monitors immigration advice and services. Welfare Advisers at Queen Mary are regulated under OISC guidelines to give immigration advice and have to attend regular training to do this. If you ever need to complain about the immigration advice you receive, the Advice and Counselling Service has a complaints procedure. Alternatively, you can complain directly to the OISC. Their complaints form is on the website at

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top