Postgraduate Funding

About the Advice and Counselling Service

The Advice and Counselling Service offers a free and confidential service to all QMUL students, including those from Barts and The London, QMUL’s School of Medicine and Dentistry. You can view our confidentiality policy on our website:

Our Welfare Advisers

In this guide we sometimes advise you to contact a Welfare Adviser for further guidance. Welfare Advisers in the Advice and Counselling Service have specialist training to offer you professional advice on a range of financial, practical and legal issues. This includes:

  • financial support (loans, grants, bursaries, etc.)
  • tuition fee status
  • planning and managing a budget
  • cutting costs
  • hardship funds
  • dealing with debt
  • immigration law
  • international student issues
  • financial support for student parents (childcare costs, etc.)
  • postgraduate funding
  • welfare benefits, including disability benefits
  • housing rights and council tax

The Welfare Advisers role is to offer you advice about your individual situation, explaining your rights, and any options and solutions available to you. You can then choose what you want to do. If your situation is complex, a Welfare Adviser can advocate on your behalf where appropriate, for example, appealing against an incorrect assessment of Student Finance or a welfare benefit.

You can get advice at any time during your course, as well as before you start at QMUL.

How to contact a Welfare Adviser

You can see a Welfare Adviser in person during one of our same day appointments (during term time only), or at a pre-booked appointment, or you can email questions via our website. If you need to speak to a Welfare Adviser but you are unable to come to the Mile End campus, we can normally offer a telephone appointment. Appointments are one to one and confidential.

More information about how an adviser can help you, and how our appointments work, is available at

For more information on how to contact us to book an appointment, our opening hours, and the times of our same day appointments, visit

Also see the Alternative and out-of-hours support section of our website for other support departments at QMUL, and external organisations which can also offer you support


Law, regulations and policies can change quickly so make sure that you are referring to the online version of this guidance which is updated regularly. The information in this guide and on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Regulation of Immigration Advice

The OISC (Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner) is an independent organisation that monitors immigration advice and services. Welfare Advisers at QMUL are regulated under OISC guidelines to give immigration advice. We have to attend regular training to do this. If you ever need to complain about the immigration advice you receive, the Advice and Counselling Service has a complaints procedure. You can find this on our website at

Alternatively, you can complain directly to the OISC. Their complaints form is on the website at

To use this guide you either click on the section headings on the left-hand side or go forward through the whole guide by clicking on the section headings at the bottom of each page.

If you would like to print the whole guide please click on ‘printer friendly version’ at the bottom of this page. If you want to print a section of this guide, go to the section and click on the ‘printer friendly version’ at the bottom of that page.