Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

I have submitted my Tier 4 application, but I need to travel soon.

I have submitted my Tier 4 application, but I need to travel soon. What can I do? 

If you travel before a decision has been made on your Tier 4 application, then this will withdraw your pending application. 

If you need to travel urgently, for example for the funeral of a relative, then you can contact Advice and Counselling with evidence of your situation, and we can try to chase up a decision for you. The Home Office does not guarantee that they will be able to process urgent applications more quickly.

If you cannot wait for the Home Office to process your application, you can ask to withdraw it. This means that the Home Office will return your application to you unprocessed. If your immigration permission has already expired, you will be considered an overstayer from the date that you made your online request to withdraw your application, not from the date when your immigration permission expired. You will not receive a refund of your application fee. To withdraw your immigration application, use the tool on the UK Government website.

If you decide to withdraw your application for emergency travel, you will need to apply for entry clearance from your home country before returning to the UK. Normally, your CAS should not have been ‘used’ by the Home Office if you withdraw your application. As long as it has not been used and is now not more than six months old, you can use the same CAS for a new immigration application, and you do not need to apply for a new one from Queen Mary. You can contact the Academic Registry (email or telephone +44 (0) 20 7882 5005) to check the status of your CAS. If your CAS is marked as “used” an error may have been made and you should contact the Advice and Counselling Service for further advice. 

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top