Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

I am waiting to receive my BRP but I need to travel soon

I am waiting to receive my BRP but I need to travel soon, what can I do?

You are advised not to travel outside the UK without your BRP. The BRP is proof of your immigration permission and you are normally required to show this in order to travel to, and re-enter the UK.

If your immigration application has been decided but there is a delay in the Home Office sending your BRP to you, and you need to travel urgently, it is up to you whether to risk leaving the UK without your BRP. You will need to be certain that you can complete the process below and get back to the UK without missing any more of your studies than your academic school will permit.

If you decide to do this, you should use the online form to notify the Home Office that your BRP has not yet arrived Use the form to explain that you need to travel home urgently, and that you will apply outside the UK for a replacement BRP visa. This should hopefully cancel the delivery of your BRP.

When you are back in your home country, you need to apply for a replacement BRP visa, which you can use only once to return to the UK. This costs £154. The visa does not replace the original biometric residence permit.

You will need to make your application for a replacement BRP visa using the Visa4UK website (unless you are applying in North Korea, where you must use the VAF9 paper form). When using the Visa 4UK website, you will need to make the following selections to get to the BRP replacement visa application form:

When you arrive back in the UK, you will need to apply for a new biometric residence permit within 1 month of your arrival. This costs £56. See the UK Government website

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top