Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Who is this advice guide for?

Who is this advice guide for?

It is for full time Home (England domiciled) and EU/EEA students who are starting, or continuing on the below courses which began on or after 1 August 2016.

  • MBBS (as 1st or 2nd degree)
  • BDS
  • Graduate Entry Programme

If you have transferred to the MBBS at Queen Mary University of London as part of the special arrangements for Oxbridge or St Andrew’s students, or you are studying on the Maxillofacial Surgery programme, or on the BSc Oral Health/ HE Diploma in Dental Hygiene and Therapy, you can find detailed guidance about your funding entitlements here.

If you started your course before 2016 please contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service if you have questions about your entitlement.

The Student Loans Company (SLC) have issued guidance for both current students and prospective students and answers to common questions related to the COVID-19 outbreak.


Boxes like this have important extra information for European Union students only. UK students can ignore these boxes.

EU/EEA/Swiss Students starting in the 2020/21 academic year

The UK government has confirmed that EU/EEA students starting their Higher Education course up to and including starting in the academic year 2020/21 will be able to access UK government funding on the same basis as they can currently, for the duration of their course. Please see the eligibility section at the end of this guide for information about the eligibility rules for UK government Student Finance.

The NHS has advised us that NHS funding will continue to be available for courses with NHS funded years for students starting their HE course by the 2020/21 academic year.

EU/EEA/Swiss Students starting in the 2021/22 academic year

The regulations on Student Finance eligibility for EU/EEA students starting a university course in the 2021/22 academic year have recently been published by the UK government. This guidance will be updated shortly. 

Please also see our EU/EEA Fees and Funding webpage which we will update as more information is released.

How can this advice guide help?

As a medical or dental student, your funding will come from many different sources and will vary depending on:

  • when you started your programme
  • which year of your programme you are in
  • which programme you are studying and
  • whether you already have a degree

This advice guide will help you to understand where your funding will come from and what amounts you might be entitled to. It includes information about Student Finance and NHS funding, as well as potential additional sources of funding from Queen Mary, the School of Medicine and Dentistry, charitable funding, and other sources. You can also read the webpages on budgeting, to help you plan your finances and get the best value for your money.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top