Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Welfare Benefits and Tax Credits

Welfare Benefits and Tax Credits

Am I eligible to claim welfare benefits?

Most full-time students cannot claim welfare benefits. However, you may be able to claim certain benefits at particular times of the year if you fall within the excepted group of students who can claim which includes:

  • lone parents
  • disabled students or students with ongoing ill-health
  • students who are part of a student couple with a child

Which benefits can I claim?

If you meet the basic eligibility rules for a particular welfare benefit, if you are not already a claimant, you might be eligible to claim welfare benefits. If you think you might be eligible to claim welfare benefits, please see the section below ‘Where can I get more detailed information about benefits?’

How does my Student Finance affect the amount of benefit I get?

Claiming benefits while you are a student can be complicated as your Student Finance income will normally affect your claim for income-assessed benefits. How much benefit you get will depend on what income is counted in the assessment of your welfare benefits under the relevant welfare benefits rules.

You must tell each of the offices that pay your benefit(s) about your Student Finance income as well as any other sources of income you have.

Where can I get more detailed information about benefits?

If you are a lone parent or have a disability or ongoing health condition, you may find it useful to read the Advice and Counselling Service’s web page Students with Children and the advice guide 'Extra Money for Disability and Ill Health’. These advice guides provide more detailed information about each welfare benefit, how your student finance is assessed as income plus template letters for you to use to notify your benefit offices about changes to your claim through the academic year. You can contact a Welfare Adviser for detailed advice about whether you are entitled to any welfare benefits, and if so, how to claim.


Like most UK students, you cannot normally claim benefits while studying full time. As an EU national there are also additional eligibility criteria. Contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service for more information.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top