Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Student Finance: Supplementary Grants

Student Finance: Supplementary Grants

These are additional grants for students with certain circumstances, such as student parents, or students who have a disability or ongoing ill health.

Apart from the Disabled Students Allowances, all of these grants are income assessed and paid directly into your bank account in three equal instalments at the start of each semester (September, January and April).

If you are a lone parent, you are likely to be eligible for the maximum amounts of Parents Learning Allowance and Childcare Grant. If you have a partner, their income will be counted, which could reduce or eliminate your entitlement. A Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service can help you check your entitlement, if you are unsure. Please print out the breakdown of your entitlement from your online account and bring this with you to your appointment.

You do not need to repay any of the supplementary grants.

If you are claiming means tested welfare benefits, the only Supplementary Grant income which will be counted in your benefit calculation is the Adult Dependants Grant; income from the other Supplementary Grants will be ignored.

For more information about all of these grants (except Disabled Students’ Allowances) refer to the guide How are Dependants Grants calculated?

Parents Learning Allowance

This grant is to help towards course related costs for students with dependent children.

The maximum amount is £1716 a year.

You do not need to make a special application for this, you just need to give details of your dependent children in your main Student Finance application, and you will be assessed. SFE will ask you to provide evidence in the form of your child’s original birth certificate and your most recent Tax Credit award notice or Child Benefit letter

Childcare Grant

This helps with the cost of registered or approved childcare if you have at least one dependent child aged under 15 or under 17 and registered as having special educational needs, and in registered or approved childcare.

It pays 85% of your childcare costs, up to a maximum weekly grant of £169.31 for one child (85% of approximately £199.19 actual childcare costs), or £290.27 for two or more children (85% of £341.49 actual childcare costs).

If you are asked to repay any overpayment of Childcare Grant, and to do so would cause you financial hardship, get advice from a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service.

Adult Dependants Grant

If you have a partner or other adult family member who is financially dependent on you, you may be eligible for this grant. The maximum amount is £3007 a year. It is paid into your bank account in three instalments at the start of each semester. You do not need to make a special application for this: you just need to give details of your partner or spouse’s income in your main Student Finance application, and you will be assessed.

Disabled Students Allowances (DSA)

DSAs are grants to help pay the extra costs you may have as a direct result of your disability, long-term health condition, mental-health condition, or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia. DSA’s can help pay for extra study related costs like specialist equipment or travel costs, or a non-medical helper.

DSA is not income assessed.

How you apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) depends on whether you’re studying full-time or part-time.

Full-time students

If you’ve already applied for student finance

Log in to your student finance account to start your DSAs application.

The application for DSAs should be on your ‘to-do list’. If it isn’t, select ‘change your circumstances’ to apply.

If you don’t have an online account because you applied for student finance by post, use the DSAs paper application form.

If you haven’t applied for student finance

You can apply for DSAs when you apply for student finance online.

If you don’t need student finance, you can apply just for DSAs by filling in the DSAs paper application form.

There is information about what you can get, and what evidence you need to provide of your eligibility here

For more information about the support available at QMUL for students with disabilities or an ongoing medical condition or specific learning difficulty or a mental health condition, contact the Disability and Dyslexia Service.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top