Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Money from Queen Mary

Money from Queen Mary University of London

Is there any other financial help available in addition to Student Finance and NHS Bursaries?

Yes, Queen Mary offers a number of bursaries to help students with their living costs, depending on your circumstances. There are also university hardship funds you may eligible for. This section summarises the main bursaries and hardship funds that are available to Queen Mary students, including some funds which are specifically for medical and dental students.

Queen Mary Bursary

These are income assessed bursaries to help students with the costs of studying. You do not need to repay this money. Bursaries are administered by the Bursaries, Grants and Scholarships Office at Queen Mary (Contact via the Student Enquiry Centre or email

Medical and dental students, including those with a previous degree, are eligible for an income assessed Queen Mary bursary in the non-NHS funded years of their programme (usually years one to four of the five year MBBS/BDS and year one of the GEP).

The amount of bursary you are eligible for in 2020/21 also depends on your course start date:

Course start date in 2018, 2019, 2020:

If your gross household income is less than £20,000 you will get a bursary of £1,700 for the year.

If your household income is between £20,000 and £35,000 you will get a bursary of £1,000 for the year.

Course start date in 2015, 2016 or 2017: 

If your gross household income is £25,000 or less you will get a bursary of £1,571 for the year.

If your household income is between £25,001 and £42,600 you will get a bursary of £1,256 for the year.

How do I apply?

When you apply for Student Finance, your household income information will be passed to Queen Mary by Student Finance, unless you ask them not to. Queen Mary will then be able to assess your eligibility for a Bursary without you needing to make a separate application.

The final date that Queen Mary will assess you for a bursary for the 2020/21 academic year is 31 July 2021 and it is your responsibility to ensure that the Queen Mary Bursaries Office receive all the relevant information from Student Finance England by this date. This means that you must apply to be income assessed by SFE before their deadline of 31 May 2021

How is the bursary paid?

If you are eligible for a bursary, the Bursaries, Grants and Scholarships Office will email you to let you know in semester 1. The bursary will be paid into your bank account in two equal instalments, in February and May.

Will my bursary affect my means tested welfare benefits?

No. You will need to get a letter from the Bursaries, Grants and Scholarships Office to state that your Bursary is for course related costs. You need to show this letter to each of the offices that pay your welfare benefits. Your bursary should then be disregarded in the assessment of your means tested welfare benefits.

Queen Mary Scholarships, Bursaries and Prizes

Queen Mary provides a wide range of scholarships and bursaries to support students. There are a number of university-wide and department-based awards and prizes. Some are awarded automatically when your application to study at Queen Mary is being considered, others require you to make an application, and others are awarded at the end of an academic year by the heads of academic schools in recognition of academic ability. For more information click here

Financial Assistance Fund

If you are in financial hardship, you can apply to the Financial Assistance Fund (FAF), subject to eligibility criteria.

Can the Financial Assistance Fund help pay my tuition fees?

No, the fund cannot help pay tuition fees. However, if you are having difficulty paying your tuition fees, contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service at Queen Mary, for advice about your options.

I am eligible for a Student Finance Maintenance Loan but have only taken the non-income assessed portion of this. Can I still apply to FAF?

You must have taken your maximum entitlement to the Student Finance Maintenance Loan (if you are eligible for one) in order to apply to FAF – this includes the income assessed portion of the loan if you are eligible. If you are only eligible for an EU Tuition Fee Loan, you can still apply for help from FAF.

What help can I get from FAF?

You can apply for a ‘standard award’ which is help towards the difference between your income and basic expenses. You can also apply for a ‘non-standard award’ for help with a sudden financial emergency or special circumstances or costs that other students might not have, which are causing you financial difficulties.

Do I need to make separate applications for a standard and a non-standard award?

No. Whether you are applying for a standard award, or a non-standard award, or both at the same time, there is just one single application via your Mysis portal. 

When can I apply to FAF?

You can apply in each year of your programme, and as early in the academic year as you like, once you have fully enrolled. You can apply more than once each year if your circumstances have changed during that year. The way that applications are assessed is more generous for final year students, so even if you applied in earlier years and didn’t get an award, it can still be worth applying in your final year.

The deadline for applying is usually four weeks before the end of your academic year. The deadline is stated in the guidance notes.

Does the fund prioritise particular groups of students?

Priority is given to certain students, who are listed below. However, all students who have taken their maximum Student Finance Maintenance Loan (if they are eligible for this) and who are in financial hardship can be considered for financial assistance. So you should consider applying, even if you are not in one of these priority groups. Many students who are not in these priority groups get awards each year.

  • Students with children (especially lone parents)
  • Disabled students (especially where the Disabled Students’ Allowance is unable to meet particular costs)
  • Students who are care experienced or are estranged
  • Undergraduates in the final year of their study.

Where can I get an application form?

You can apply for FAF online

To apply online: 

  • Log in to your MySis portal and go to the Scholarships and Bursaries page (click + if not visible)
  • Click on ‘Apply for Scholarship or Bursary’
  • Select ‘Financial Assistance Fund’ from the funding type dropdown and complete the online application screens
  • Make sure you click the ‘Submit’ button on the final screen

For advice about your finances, or to discuss which aspects of your situation might be important to include in your application, please contact a Welfare Adviser.

How do I fill out the form?

You need to fill out all sections of the form including the income and expenditure sections. If you are applying for a non-standard award, you also need to explain your reasons for applying to the fund in the Personal Statement section of the online application form. You need to give an indication of how much your financial shortfall is (the difference between your income and expenses) and, if appropriate, what period of time you need financial assistance for. If you need advice about completing your application, contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service who can help you to fill out the form and explain your circumstances and the financial help you need.

Barts and the London Annual Fund and the Dental Centenary Fund

This fund can help medical and dental students, in the clincial years of their course, who are in financial hardship. You must make sure that you have tried every other funding option before you apply, including applying to the Financial Assistance Fund (FAF).

To be eligible, you should have:

  • Obtained the full amount of student finance available to you each year. Evidence must be provided and can be downloaded from your SFE online account in the form of a screenshot which shows the total amount of funding you have obtained. We are aware that your name does not appear on the screenshot but the SMD can verify the amount with the SLC if need be.
  • Have applied for the Financial Assistance Fund (FAF).

For further details, including whether you are eligible to apply please contact Kate McFarlane in the School of Medicine and Dentistry.

If you are eligible to apply, a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service can help you to check whether you are already getting all the funding that you are entitled to, work out exactly what your financial need is before applying, and advise you on how best to explain your circumstances.

Dean’s Benevolence Fund (DBF)

Medical and Dental students can apply to this fund if you are in severe financial hardship. Grants to support the Dean’s Benevolence Fund are donated by The Medical College of St Bartholomew’s Hospital Trust and The Enid Linder Foundation. You must make sure that you have tried every other funding option before you apply, including applying to the Financial Assistance Fund (if you are eligible to do so).

The DBF most often helps students who are near the end of their course, although you can apply at any time. You may be awarded an interest-free loan, or occasionally a grant or a combination of the two. If you are awarded an interest-free loan, you will not need to start making repayments until you complete your foundation training.

The School of Medicine and Dentistry encourages students to contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service for help with their application before applying. An adviser can help you to check whether you are already getting all the funding that you are entitled to, work out exactly what your financial need is before applying, and advise you on how best to explain your circumstances. You can also contact the Student Support Office at the School of Medicine and Dentistry for a confidential discussion before you apply.

Contact Kate McFarlane for the forms and information about applying. 

Transition to FY1/DF1 Loan

This fund can help to cover basic living costs between the end of a course of study, and when you receive your first salary payment. You can apply for a loan of up to £1,200 to help with your July and August rent, essential living expenses, moving and travel costs to your FY1/DF1 location and essential clothes and shoes required for your FY1/DF1 job.

To be eligible for this fund, you need to have secured an FY1/DF1 job in the UK. Successful FY1/DF1 applicants can apply by the deadline stated on the transition loan application form, usually May. Application forms and guidance can normally be requested from February.

You repay the loan in twelve monthly instalments starting after your first FY1/DF1 salary payment and ending immediately after your last FY1/DF1 salary payment.

You can get an application form and further details from Kate McFarlane in the School of Medicine and Dentistry.  

Intercalated Degree Bursaries

There are two types of bursary for medical and dental students studying for an intercalated BSc: a bursary based on academic ranking and a bursary based on financial hardship. These bursaries are administered by the School for Medicine and Dentistry and are only available to Queen Mary students who are intercalating at Queen Mary, i.e. not students from other medical schools.

Amounts range from £1,000 to approximately £5000.

Once you have been considered for a place on the intercalated degrees programme you will be informed in more detail about available bursaries. Applications are assessed by the School for Medicine and Dentistry and are allocated according to financial need, level of debt, the documentary evidence provided to support the application, and contribution to the student body.

For more information about Intercalated Degree Bursaries please contact Kate McFarlane, Student Office, Whitechapel campus. 

Prizes and Academic Activities

The School of Medicine and Dentistry awards prizes for academic achievement. Some prizes are based on academic performance each year, and other prizes are awarded to students who elect to sit an exam or write an essay for ‘open competition’ prizes. Prizes usually range from £50 to £500. More information about academic prizes is available from Stephanie Wigg. the Prizes and Exam Administrator in the Assessment section of the Student Office at the Whitechapel campus. For information about funding for academic activities, such as presenting a paper at a conference or undertaking research during the summer vacation, please contact Kate McFarlane in the Student Office at the Whitechapel campus.

Short term loans

If your Student Finance payment is late or other money is temporarily delayed, and you will have no money for a period of time, you can apply for an interest free short term loan from the University to help pay your living costs until your money arrives. This loan can take a few days to arrange. For more information please see the Student Finance Delayed webpage. To apply, email the Bursaries Grants and Scholarships Office ( 


You need to pay the loan back as soon as you are able to. This will normally be once your delayed funds have arrived, or you have received other money you normally rely on such as money from part time work or family. You cannot usually be considered for another loan or an award from University hardships funds until you have paid back the money you owe.

Short term loans from the Students’ Union

QMSU offer a short-term Welfare Loan of up to £100 to help students who have run into unexpected financial need due to a cash flow problem. For example, if you are waiting for your wages to be paid and you need to make a payment. These loans are interest free. You must be able to demonstrate a realistic repayment schedule. There is more information online. To apply, you need to log in to the QMSU website and complete a short form to arrange an appointment with a member of staff in the SU to discuss your application.

The Queen Mary Club Sport Hardship Fund

The QMSU Club Sport Hardship Fund is now called the Financial Support Fund. 

This fund has been designed to go towards the following: 

  • Club Membership Fees
  • Travel Costs
  • Competition Entries
  • Equipment

More information will be uploaded to the QMSU website shortly.

The application form explains which groups of students are considered a priority for this fund. Applications are considered each month, so you need to apply by the last Friday of the month to get a decision by the middle of the following month.


If you are only eligible for a Student Finance Tuition Fee Loan and no Student Finance for living costs, you would not normally be eligible for a short term loan from Queen Mary. This is because you do not have a guaranteed source of income such as loans or grants, which you could use to repay the loan. However, you would still be eligible to apply for an emergency loan from Queen Mary.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top