Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Housing Benefit (HB) and the Local Housing Allowance (LHA)

Housing Benefit (HB) and the Local Housing Allowance (LHA)

Most people cannot make new claims for Housing Benefit. If you already have a claim for Housing Benefit, it is possible you might be able to continue claiming it while you study. Otherwise, any help with housing costs will be paid through Universal Credit.


Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)

If you feel that you cannot afford to pay the difference between your HB/UC and your actual rent, you can apply for a DHP to top up your HB. To make a claim you need to contact your local authority to ask how they want you to do this. It is at the discretion of the local authority whether to award you a DHP. It can be very difficult to get a DHP - if you contact a Welfare Adviser they can advise you about applying.



Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top