Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Extra money: disability and ill health

Extra money: disability and ill health

Who is this advice guide for?

This advice guide is for ‘home’ undergraduate and postgraduate students who have a disability or ongoing ill health. This includes physical and mental illness. It includes students who are out of attendance and part time postgraduates.

This guide is intended as an introduction to extra money you may be entitled to including welfare benefits and their qualifying conditions. The information may seem complex so you are encouraged to also contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service to discuss your options. You will then be able to decide whether to make a benefit claim and how and when to do so.

If you are an EEA national, the rules for claiming benefits in the UK are complicated, and you are advised to contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service if you would like to check your eligibility. If you are an International Student, you are advised to contact the QMUL Disability and Dyslexia Service about your support needs and accessing your course ( If you are in the UK with Tier 4 Student immigration permission you cannot usually claim welfare benefits. If you are experiencing financial hardship, please contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service.

All students with a disability or ongoing ill health are advised to contact the QMUL Disability and Dyslexia Service for advice on support and resources to enable you to access your course.


As a student, your income will usually come from a number of different sources to make up a package of support. As a student with a disability or ongoing ill health, you may also be eligible to claim certain extra money, which is explained in this advice guide. You will find information about:

  • additional allowances from Student Finance or QMUL
  • welfare benefits you might be eligible to claim
  • how any student income you receive will affect the amount of benefits you might get
  • what you need to do to make or continue a claim for welfare benefits

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top