Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

What if I have ongoing health or other problems?

What if I have ongoing health or other problems?

Many students have ongoing health issues that are managed by medication or other treatment / support. Many students also have ongoing personal circumstances that are stressful or problematic.

These situations will not generally be suitable for the extenuating circumstances claims process. The extenuating circumstances process is designed to help students who have an ‘acute episode’ of difficulty. For example, if you have an ongoing health condition and you are normally fit enough to study, you would not normally be able to make a valid extenuating circumstances claim unless you have experienced a particularly acute episode which has caused difficulties over and above your ongoing situation.

If you have a disability or health condition or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, contact the university’s Disability and Dyslexia Service (DDS) to see what support can be put in place to help you manage your studies more effectively. DDS can help you with circumstances that affect either your physical or mental health, or both.

You should always inform your academic school about any ongoing health or personal difficulties, so that any additional support arrangements can be considered.

If you feel that your ongoing health or personal circumstances are making it difficult for you to manage your studies, you may need to consider taking a break from your programme. This is called an ‘Interruption of Study’ and basically means that you ask the university for permission to take a break from your studies and return in the future when your health or your personal situation is more manageable. For more information about how to request an interruption of study, and to find out about the practical and financial implications of doing so, see the Advice and Counselling Service’s guide: Resitting, interrupting or leaving your course. There is a guide for home and EU students, and also one for international students. You can find the guide here:

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top