Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

What if I am absent from university due to health or personal difficulties?

What if I am absent from university due to health or personal difficulties?

You should notify your academic school if you are absent from university. Check your school handbook for specific information about when and how to inform your school.

If your absence is likely to go on for a long time, you may need to consider asking for an interruption of study – see above. If your absence is temporary, you will need to decide if it is going to be possible for you to catch up on the work that you have missed. Talk to your personal tutor or academic adviser to get advice about what is, and what isn’t, possible. If you decide to try and catch up, you cannot usually use your absence to make a successful extenuating circumstances claim, so you should think carefully about how realistic it is to try and carry on with your studies at that point.

Absence isn’t, in itself, a reason to submit an extenuating circumstances claim. It may be relevant if you need more time to complete an assessment, but it is unlikely to be relevant for examinations as you should normally arrange an interruption of study if you feel that you are not going to be ready to take exams because of being absent from university.

However, if you experience extenuating circumstances shortly before, or during, the examination period, which mean that you are unexpectedly absent from university and unable to take your exams, you can submit an extenuating circumstances claim in the usual way.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top