Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

What documentation do I have to provide with my extenuating circumstances claim form?

What documentation do I have to provide with my extenuating circumstances claim form?

Important update during the Coronavirus situation:

You can self-certify for assessments during the current situation. This means you don't need to supply any supporting evidence for an extenuating circumstance claim to be accepted (but you must still submit the claim itself, in the usual way).

The information below relates to claims made at times outside of the Coronavirus situation:

You must provide formal documents to support your claim as evidence to confirm that your claim is true. If the documents that you have are not in English, you must provide a certified translation of the documents into English. Your documents must be provided by an independent professional; you cannot use documents written by a friend, family member or any other personal friend / colleague. All evidence must include details of the impact that the extenuating circumstances had on your ability to complete the assessment. The evidence that you might provide is described below, and is summarised in the annexe at the end of this guide.

Medical evidence

If your extenuating circumstances relate to physical health, mental health or emotional well being, you should get documentation from a medical practitioner who is registered with a recognised professional body such as the General Medical Council or Nursing and Midwifery Council ( or If you have consulted another type of health professional, they should be registered with the Health Professions Council ( Counsellors or Psychotherapists should normally be registered with the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy ( There are nine health professional regulatory bodies in the UK listed in Appendix 1. You should check that your medical practitioner is registered with one of these.

If you missed an exam because you were unwell, or you became unwell during an exam, your medical documentation must cover the date/s of all the missed exam/s.

If your documentation relates to medical circumstances, you should always have a medical consultation before getting your documentation, and this consultation should take place within 3 working days of you becoming unwell. If you are unable to get a medical appointment within 3 working days, or you have another good reason for not being able to meet this timeframe, you should explain this on your extenuating circumstances claim form. Ask your medical practitioner to confirm the delay in their documentation, if they are willing to.

You may have to pay for medical documentation.

What if I am not registered with a doctor?

All students should be registered with a doctor. If you are not registered with a doctor you will need to do so as soon as possible and try to make an urgent appointment to see a doctor. If you live in postcodes E1, E2, E3 or E14, you can register with the Student Health Service on campus. If you do not live in these areas, but you are unwell while you are on campus, the Student Health Service may see you as a temporary patient. If you are suddenly taken ill immediately before or during an exam, and the Student Health Service is closed, staff in university’s Occupational Health Service may be able to see you and provide you with documentation to confirm your circumstances.

Non-medical evidence

Extenuating circumstances may also relate to a non-medical event or incident. You must provide formal documentation to confirm this. The type of documentation you provide will depend on the type of incident or event. Examples might include:


    • Bereavement – a copy of the death certificate is required


    • An incident involving the police, ambulance or fire service – documentation and reference numbers are required


    • Travel delays – proof of a major disruption to travel arrangements is required. For local journeys, travel delays are not normally considered as valid extenuating circumstances and you are expected to make travel arrangements that enable you to arrive at least 30 minutes before the start of the assessment or the submission deadline. For longer journeys, you are expected to have made travel arrangements that enable you to arrive at least one hour before the start of the assessment or the submission deadline


  • Jury service – Anyone who is normally resident in the UK can be asked to perform this public service. In some circumstances it may be possible to delay your jury service. If you receive a letter asking you to do jury service, please discuss this with your personal tutor or academic adviser immediately to help you decide if you should apply to delay it. Jury service is not normally accepted as grounds for an extenuating circumstances claim as it is not unplanned or outside your control. Further information about jury service is available at:

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top