How do I make an Extenuating Circumstances claim?
There is a standard Extenuating Circumstances claim form for QMUL. An example of the form is at the end of this guide and sample text is included on the form to help you to understand what information is required. Ask your academic school for a form, and check the deadline that applies to your programme.
To complete the form, you need to know the module code for the relevant exam or assessment. You also need to know the date of the exam or the assessment submission date.
The form has a box for you to summarise your extenuating circumstances. The following points should be included:
- A description of the personal or health circumstances that have affected you
- An explanation of how these circumstances were / are outside your control
- A description of how these circumstances have affected you and your studies e.g. any personal, emotional, physical or medical effects
- The date / dates that you have been affected by your extenuating circumstances
- It can also be useful for you to describe any support that you have received, or are receiving, to address your difficulties. You might also wish to explain how you are making use of this support to ensure that your studies are less likely to be affected in the future
Make sure that you include all the information that is relevant to your circumstances, and explain it as clearly and concisely as possible. Don’t include extra information that is not relevant, as this will make your claim difficult to read and may mean that the most important information about your claim is not easy to see.
Your academic school should issue you with a signed receipt when you submit your form. Keep your receipt safe for the duration of your studies.
Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.