Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

European Economic Area and Swiss students: the rules about working

European Economic Area and Swiss students: the rules about working

Currently, if you are a national of Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden or Switzerland, you can work legally in the UK with no restriction on the number of hours or type of work you do.

Note: The rules on working apply to EU/EEA and Swiss nationals currently in the UK and continue while the UK remains a member state of the European Union, and during any agreed transition period if and when the UK leaves the EU (Brexit) with a deal. More information on how EU/ EEA and Swiss nationals can secure their rights in the UK post Brexit can be found on our EU/EEA webpages.  

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top