Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu




What is deregistration?

Deregistration means you are no longer a student of Queen Mary University of London and as a result, will not be able to continue your programme of study – this means you cannot use any university facilities, attend classes, or sit examinations. The ‘failure to pay’ section of the university’s Tuition Fee Regulations explains the deregistration procedure.

When does deregistration happen?

If you are behind with your tuition fee payment by the stated deadline, you will normally be deregistered from Queen Mary. As stated in the Tuition Fees section of this advice guide, the payment deadlines are 31st January for students who start their course in the autumn.

There is more information about payment deadlines in Queen Mary’s tuition fee regulations and on the Advice and Counselling Service website.

Once the payment deadline has passed, if you still owe tuition fees you will receive a letter from Queen Mary giving a further deadline to clear the outstanding balance within 10 days. If you fail to do this, you will normally be deregistered.

You may also be deregistered for other reasons during the academic year, for example for non- attendance on your programme of study. However, deregistration would generally be the final option, after your academic school had exhausted all possible options to help you engage with your studies.

How can I get reinstated on to my programme of study?

If you have been deregistered for non-payment of tuition fees, you will have to pay your outstanding tuition fees and an administrative charge of £250 by 31st July of the same year you have been deregistered in order to be reinstated onto your course. If you do this, you will normally be able to resume your studies at Queen Mary but no earlier than 12 months following your date of deregistration. If you cannot pay your outstanding balance plus £250 by 31st July, you cannot normally be reinstated at Queen Mary.

Under the current tuition fee regulations, if you are able to pay your outstanding balance plus £250 by 31st July, when you return to complete the academic year in which you were deregistered, you will have no further tuition fee to pay for that academic year. This is not the case for students returning to study following an interruption - see the Tuition Fees section of this advice guide.

Please note that you cannot reply on using the Student Finance England Masters Loan or Doctoral Loan to make this payment as once you are deregistered Student Fiance England will stop any future payments of loan.  See the section below "how will I support myself".  

Can I appeal or make a complaint about being deregistered?

Yes, you may appeal the decision to deregister you. The email you receive informing you that you have been deregistered should explain that you have a right of appeal against your deregistration. If you decide you want to appeal, you must do so within 14 calendar days of the date stated on that letter. As deregistration relates to progression on your programme of study, you need to submit an appeal and not a complaint. However, if you are not looking to reverse the deregistration decision, but wish to complain about other matters you could consider making a complaint. You must submit your complaint within 3 months of the date stated on your deregistration letter.

To find out how to make an appeal or complaint, see the Student Appeals, Complaints and Conduct Office webpages.

Before you submit your appeal or complaint, it may be useful for you to take independent advice from the Academic Advice manager Annie Mitchell in the Students Union.

How will I financially support myself?

Once you are deregistered, you would no longer be a student, so you would usually be expected to self-fund, for example through working. You should also be eligible to claim certain welfare benefits such as Universal Credit providing you meet the main eligibility rules for claiming.

However, if you are later re-instated onto your course and you resume your full-time student status, you would become ineligible to claim welfare benefits, unless you fall into one of the groups of students who can claim benefits despite being a full-time student, such as a lone parent, or in some cases a student with a disability or ongoing ill health.

If you have been deregistered from a part-time course, you would continue to be eligible for welfare benefits provided you met the main eligibility rules for claiming. See the Welfare benefits section of this advice guide for more information.

If you receive the Student Finance England masters or Doctoral Loan, you should not receive any future payments as your non attendance will be reported to Student Finance England and the payments will be stopped.  If you do receive any payments after you are de-registered you will be asked by SFE to repay these.  This is further explained in the 'What happens if I withdraw' section of this guide. 

If you are re-instated onto your course and are allowed to continue with your studies, Student Finance England will be informed and your funding should continue once you resume studies.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top