Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Deregistration for non-payment of tuition fees

Deregistration for non-payment of tuition fees

What is deregistration? 

Deregistration means you are no longer a student of Queen Mary and, as a result, you will not be eligible to continue your programme of study. You will not be able to use any Queen Mary facilities, attend classes, sit examinations or attend graduation. 

When does deregistration happen? 

If you do not pay the amount of tuition fees that you have agreed to pay to Queen Mary by 31st January, you will normally be deregistered from Queen Mary. 

If you are getting a Tuition Fee Loan, this means that you need to have confirmation of this from your funding body by 31 January, and to have shown this to the Queen Mary Fees Office. 

If you are paying your own tuition fees, this means that you must be up to date with payments of your tuition fee instalments, in accordance with your payment plan, by 31 January. There will be further instalments to pay after that date, but you must have paid the amount owed on your payment plan by 31 January. 

If you have not either paid your tuition fees that you have agreed to pay, or provided evidence of a Tuition Fee Loan, by 31 January, Queen Mary will send normally you a letter in early February. The letter will explain that you are being given a further deadline to clear the outstanding tuition fee payment within 10 working days. If you fail to pay by the further deadline stated in the letter, you will normally be deregistered.

Students may also be deregistered for other reasons during the academic year, for example for non- attendance on their programme of study, but deregistration would be the final option, after an academic school had exhausted all the options to help a student re-engage with their studies. Deregistration also occurs if you fail your exams and re-sits, and if you have no entitlement to further attempts. 

How can I get reinstated on to my programme of study? 

If you have been deregistered for non-payment of tuition fees, you may be able to get reinstated on your programme. To do this, you have to pay your outstanding tuition fees and an administrative charge of £250 by 31st July of the same year you have been deregistered in. This will preserve your right to re-join your course and resume your studies at a later date, but no earlier than 12 months following your date of deregistration.  This means the earliest date to rejoin will normally be the following February.

As you will have paid all your outstanding fees by 31st July, you will have no further tuition fee to pay when you return to complete the academic year in which you were deregistered.

If you cannot pay your outstanding fee by 31st July, you cannot normally be reinstated at Queen Mary. 

Can I appeal or make a complaint about being deregistered? 

Yes, you may appeal the decision to deregister you. The letter you receive informing you that you have been deregistered should explain that you have a right of appeal against your deregistration. If you decide you want to appeal, you must do so within 10 working days of the date stated on the letter. As deregistration relates to progression on your programme of study, you would need to submit an appeal rather than a complaint. If your appeal is successful, you would normally be allowed to be reinstated on your course. However, if you are not looking to reverse the deregistration decision, but wish to complain about other matters such as, for example, the way that your deregistration has been processed, you could consider making a complaint. You must submit your complaint within 3 months of the date stated on your deregistration letter. 

To find out how to make an appeal or complaint, see the Student Appeals, Complaints and Conduct Office webpages

Before you submit your appeal or complaint, it may be useful for you to take independent advice from the Academic Advice manager Annie Mitchell in the Students Union 

How will it affect my funding? 

If you are getting Student Finance, you won’t be eligible to continue receive this after you have been deregistered as you will no longer be a student. As deregistration happens mid-way through semester 2, you will have received your Student Finance for the whole of semester 2, so you will have an overpayment. See the section of this guide Will I have to repay my Student Finance grants or loans? (overpayments)

If after deregistration Student Finance do pay your tuition fee, they would pay 50% of the annual amount because you only attended for part of the academic year. You would also have to pay a £250 reinstatement fee yourself by 31 July. 

When you return to study 12 months after deregistration, you will owe the remaining 50% of the tuition fee. Contact a Welfare Adviser for advice about when and how to apply for Student Finance for a Tuition Fee Loan.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top