Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

What can I do if I disagree with my council tax bill

What can I do if I disagree with my council tax bill?

If you receive a council tax bill and you think it is incorrect because you should be exempt or a discount should have been applied, check that you and any other students in the dwelling have provided the local authority with evidence of your student status. Once you have done this, if your local authority still asks you to pay, contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service. A Welfare Adviser can usually write a letter of complaint to the local authority explaining the rules. There are usually strict deadlines for doing this so contact a Welfare Adviser as soon as possible. You will need to show the Welfare Adviser the letter from the local authority refusing to grant you an exemption, if you have one.

The Citizens Advice Bureau has more information about making a complaint to the local authority:

If the local authority does not agree with your complaint, a Welfare Adviser can help you to appeal their decision to the Valuation Tribunal. The Valuation Tribunal website has a useful guide that explains how to bring a case to tribunal:

If you are complaining to the local authority or appealing to the Valuation Tribunal about your council tax bill, you will normally be expected to make payments while your complaint or appeal is being considered. If you cannot afford to make those payments, contact a Welfare Adviser for advice. Also see below for the potential consequences of non-payment of council tax.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top