Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Second Adult Rebate

Second Adult Rebate

This is an alternative type of CTR, also known as Alternative Maximum CTR that can be paid instead of but not as well as main CTR. It is designed to help people pay their council tax where they have other adult residents in their homes who are not liable to pay rent or council tax, and who are not dependent on the person liable to pay the bill, and who are on a low income. It can be claimed by full-time students. You will be automatically assessed for Second Adult Rebate when you apply for CTR and awarded whichever benefit amount is higher.

Since April 2013, many local authorities in England have ceased to continue offering Second Adult Rebate. Contact your local authority to check whether it is still offering Second Adult Rebate:

The Citizens Advice Bureau guidance explains more about Second Adult Rebate:

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top