Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Main Council Tax Reduction

Main Council Tax Reduction (CTR)

Most full-time students are not allowed to claim main CTR as they are not liable to pay council tax. However there are a few exceptions, including lone parents, student couples with a child, and certain students with a disability or ongoing medical condition who can claim.

To claim main CTR you must be liable for council tax, and your income must be low enough. Please contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service if you would like to check your eligibility to claim CTR.

If you live with a non-student partner who is liable for council tax, they can claim CTR if their income is sufficiently low and they do not have immigration restrictions on their stay in the UK.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top