Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Carer Exemption

Carer Exemption

If you are a student with a disability who requires a live-in carer, your carer will be exempt from paying council tax if:

    • he or she provides care for at least 35 hours a week, and
    • he or she lives in the same property as you, and
    • he or she is not your spouse, partner or parent, and
    • you receive either the middle or highest rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance or the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (either rate) or Attendance Allowance (either rate) or Constant Attendance Allowance

The Carers UK website has more information on the disability reduction and a helpful factsheet which explains more about who can be disregarded from paying council tax:

The Citizens Advice Bureau guidance is another source of useful advice about council tax and disability:

Once you have read the above information, if you still have questions, contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top