Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

Can I claim Council Tax Reduction

Can I claim Council Tax Reduction (CTR)?

Council Tax Reduction (CTR) is for people on low incomes to help them pay their council tax. It is a local rebate scheme, also known as a council tax support scheme, administered by individual local authorities which decide how much council tax to charge in their area. The amount of money local authorities have to spend on CTR is 10% less than they previously had available for Council Tax Benefit and each local authority must decide where to make savings in its budget.

If you are a full-time student, you are normally exempt from paying council tax (see first section ‘What is council tax?’), so you will not need to apply for CTR. However, if you are one of the few students who are liable to pay council tax, you might be able to claim CTR (see below). If you are an international student with immigration permission to stay in the UK, which has a time limit, you will normally have a condition stating “no recourse to public funds”. This means you are not normally allowed to claim welfare benefits, including CTR.

There are two types of CTR: main CTR and Second Adult Rebate.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top