Advice and Counselling Service

Advice and Counselling Service menu

FAF for Home/EU Undergraduate students eligible for full Student Finance

Home/EU Undergraduate students eligible for full Student Finance

If you are a home student or an EU national who is eligible for full Student Finance, you can apply for help from the FAF. You must have taken your maximum Student Finance Maintenance Loan in order to apply. If you are only eligible for an EU tuition fee loan, you can still apply for help from FAF towards your living costs. EU students are expected to have made provision to have access to the equivalent of the maximum amount of the Student Finance Maintenance Loan. If you cannot show this level of funding, but your essential living costs such as rent, travel and food are less than this, then you can still apply to the FAF if you can show that you have an income equivalent to at least 75% of your outgoings. If you need advice about applying, contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service.

You can apply for a standard award which is help with the difference between your income and basic expenses. You can also apply for a non-standard award for help with a sudden financial emergency or special circumstances or costs that other students might not have, which are causing you financial difficulties. You need to explain these in the Personal Statement in Section 10 of the application form. If you need help with your application, contact a Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Service who can help you to explain your circumstances and the financial help you need.

Whether you are applying for a standard award, or a non-standard award, or both at the same time all applications are made online. If you would like help applying please contact a Welfare Adviser.

You can apply in each year of your programme and as early in the academic year as you like, once you have enrolled. It might be advisable to apply early as the fund is limited and might run out towards the end of the year. You can apply more than once each year if your circumstances have changed during that year. The way that applications are assessed is more generous for final year students, so even if you applied in earlier years and didn’t get an award, it can still be worth applying in your final year.

Law, regulations and policies can change quickly. The information on our website is given in good faith and has been carefully checked but QMUL cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions. QMUL is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites which are provided for further information.

Return to top